Grass in garden - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-24-2004, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My garden (my first one ever) is over run with grass. It's too late for this season but next season what can I do to prepare the area for my garden so the grass stays out? Any suggestions other than picking the grass out with my hands everyday?

What about things like ground cover or raised bed? I have no clue how to do either of those things. Would putting a fence around my garden help at all?

What do you do to keep grass and other weeds out?
#2 of 10 Old 05-24-2004, 09:53 PM

Corn gluten! at the beginning of the season. it's a fertilizer but also prohibits new germination; ie roots are fine but seeds can't grow. totally natural. i just started this spring and i guess it takes a couple of seasons to be totally effective.

for now, you can pour/spray vinegar on the grass.

i'm dealing w/the same problem--never got rid of it last year.
#3 of 10 Old 05-24-2004, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

If it povents seed growth how do you plant your veggies etc? Or is it just effective on grass seed?
Where do you get corn gluten?
#4 of 10 Old 05-24-2004, 11:20 PM

We start everything indoors So...I've never even asked how long it prohibits growth!
Nah, it stops alll seeds. But, anything already rooted is safe.

You could find out how long it stays in effect or just use after your crop is p+lanted.

sorry, gotta go, try googling-our major garden store had
#5 of 10 Old 05-27-2004, 12:38 AM

We have lots of grass in our gardens, too. I would not put vinegar on it b/c it will kill everything and is not good for the soil. We use our grass as green manure and just turn it under the soil.

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#6 of 10 Old 05-27-2004, 11:07 PM

If you'd like to try raised beds, I'd suggest reading the Vegetable Gardener's Bible by Ed Smith. I read it this winter and my husband and I put in a raised bed vegetable garden this spring. Its awesome! We still have to weed but only a little. I'm really enjoying the vegetable garden this year.
#7 of 10 Old 05-27-2004, 11:20 PM

I used Ed Smith's book to do my first garden. Also, if you mulch thickly the grass won't grow under it.
#8 of 10 Old 05-28-2004, 08:47 AM
hlr

We do a couple of things, first (if it's a new garden or if it's not too much work for an exsisting garden) we put a layer of newspaper down before we plant and mulch. Second, (if we are using plants and NOT seeds) we apply several times before, during and after the growing season, "corn gluten meal". It's available at most garden centers and is safe and natural, not a chemical &/or poison. It inhibits seed growth and is extremely effective. Finally, we make sure to have a mulch cover of at least 3-4".

Good luck

Heidi
#9 of 10 Old 07-21-2004, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlr
We do a couple of things, first (if it's a new garden or if it's not too much work for an exsisting garden) we put a layer of newspaper down before we plant and mulch...Finally, we make sure to have a mulch cover of at least 3-4".
How well does the newspaper decompose? And do you only put one layer down or double it over? I've read an article about this in Countryside magazine but would like some more input about it.

Momma to the monkeys three
#10 of 10 Old 07-21-2004, 06:23 PM

I have used whole sections of newspapers, like 6+ layers

I remove sod from all new beds, very labor intensive though, and compost it separately or sometimes bury it deeply. Composted sod piles are full of rich new soil as the roots and leaves die in there.

The newspaper decomposes fairly quickly here definitely less than one year, but weeds are still wimpy after that time thank goodness.

Some grass can be SO tough! Good luck

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page