Mint - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-10-2002, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought a Indian Mint plant today and I am wondering the best way to care for it. It says to put a barrier around it so it doesn't spread everywhere. How do I do that?

Thanks,
Stephanie

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
#2 of 6 Old 06-12-2002, 05:19 AM

I guess you could either grow it in a bucket or when you plant it in the ground, dig a bigger hole & totally line it with slate tiles or bricks or corrugated iron or something to stop the roots spreading too far. If it's anything like my vietnamese mint tho' you'll probably have to keep an eye on it since mine puts down roots where it's branches touch the soil - it's a trailing mint.

Otherwise just eat it very quickly or find a local restruant who wants a continuous supply of organically grown indian mint
#3 of 6 Old 06-12-2002, 09:50 AM

We are daily drinkers of mint tea, what with the whole Moroccan half of our family, so we have a little mint garden. We have placed it all between our sidealk and our house--where "normal" people plan their bushes. It has already (this is its second summer) thrown runners out under the edging, and I suspect that next summer I will find mint on the other side of the sidewalk, in the lawn. Contain it well.
#4 of 6 Old 06-12-2002, 10:12 AM

In the past, I have planted my mints by inserting a bottomless coffee can in the hole and then planting the mint in the can. That contains it fairly well. If your mint is a trailing variety, plant it in a pot of its own, away from the garden. We love mint but it is very invasive! I am trying two new varieties this year, chocolate mint and lime mint. We love them! The lime mint makes a wonderful iced tea!
#5 of 6 Old 06-13-2002, 03:51 AM

I think the aforementioned coffee can idea sounds good. But if you don't mind my asking, what zone are you in? Before reading all the posts my first response was going to be - aww, it's not that bad. But evidently it is very bad for other people.
But I am far North in zone 3. Maybe enough of my mint dies off each year that it doesn't matter. What I do want to weed out comes out fairly easy and then before you know it, it's first frost and a moot point! Obviously this isn't true for everyone.
#6 of 6 Old 06-13-2002, 11:08 AM

Location: Chester County, PA, but I'd rather run free amongst the sheep
I grow all of my mints in pots for this reason - they spread like wildfire!!! I currently have spearmint, peppermint, orange mint, Indian mint, Chocolate mint, and catmint all going in pots - they're getting large (we've had funky weather), but the trailers can't quite reach the soil. I may need to put them on a table.

On the "herb infestation" level, my lemon balm took over everything last year - we ended up with lemon-scented purple ruffles basil (not a bad combination), and lemon-scented tomatoes. The lemon balm overgrew the tomato plant by about a foot.

April

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page