Help with brocolli - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-11-2002, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love brocolli so I thought I would give a try at growing it.

Is there anything I should know?

The plants already have what looks to be nice little starts of brocolli on the tops, maybe the size of a quarter.

Thanks,
Stephanie

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 06-12-2002, 06:24 AM

Mine just grows & grows. It's more like a tree now than a plant. I garden organically & I'm a vegan so I'm not keen on actually eating my brocolli since it gets these little aphids right in the midst of its florets that I can no way in a million years wash out. What I do is buy store brought organic brocolli if I want the real McCoy & I let mine flower & go to seed. Then I collect the seeds & make brocolli sprouts which are apparently highly nutritious & jam packed full of anit-oxidants. I also use the leaves as a change from cabbage in stir fries, stews & salad.
#3 of 5 Old 06-13-2002, 04:58 AM

Back in the days when I would religiously start everything from seed, brocoli was the only plant that could take being spilled out of it's pot repeatedly, stirred up by the cats and mistreated by a toddler - and still produce a bumper crop once it made it into the garden! (so it's easy)

In general, brocoli is a cooler weather plant and will withstand a mild frost. It grows in the heat but very quickly so you really need to keep an eye on it. Also, it will spread out and take up a LOT of room, so believe the spacing instructions! Haven't ever had any problems w/ bugs on it, although needed to hand pick the white moths one year to prevent future problems. Don't let the heads get too big before picking. And then after you cut off the top heads, more will branch off below. YUM!
#4 of 5 Old 08-07-2002, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter

Ok.

I let one go to seed and now the dumb question where are the seeds?

Are they in the green bean looking pods?

I let them flower and flower, so I am sure that they went to seed and there are lots of little pod looking things sticking out.

How do I sprout them?

I guess I have to learn this some how, I just feel silly asking.

Stephanie

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
#5 of 5 Old 08-07-2002, 04:07 AM

Wait for the green pods to go brown & then cut them off. The seeds will be in the middle of the pods. Shell them & save the seeds. I use a jam jar to do sprouts but you can get proper sprouters from some shops. All I do is soak them in water, drain them & leave them in the jam jar with the lid resting on the top. I do this twice a day until I have sprouts.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page