Lawn repair on a budget? - Mothering Forums

• 1 Post By Daybyday2015
#1 of 3 Old 10-12-2015, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question Lawn repair on a budget?

Hello everyone,

I'm going to shoot this out there and see what feedback comes.

My senior friends lawn is in bad condition. It is mowed and weed wacked regularly, but it has been years since it was given any seed, fertilizer, etc.

I talked to a Kim at the Home Depot about lawns. She said a cheaper way to try to fix the lawn, as opposed to Scotts 3 or 4 stage treatment, is to get the 10/10/10 lawn treatment, and add Epsom Salt. She said it would come out to about $70 total for the lawn. She said the best time is fall or spring.

However, my friend thinks it would need soil testing (such as the $10 tester stick at hardware stores), and a water sprinkler installed. The sprinkler is not possible. This is in New England area of USA.

With this info, how could it be done? Would this really fix the lawn into a near golf-course beauty? The roots are not very deep as is, and the grass easily kicks off the ground (very lacking in top soil.) And lots of clover leaves, weeds, etc.

This friend cannot afford the expensive $300-1000 full stage treatment plans by pros.

Thank you.
applejuice likes this.
Sponsored Links
#2 of 3 Old 10-12-2015, 05:10 PM
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
It is my experience, as someone who lives in New England, that if you are not investing like you're running a golf course, you are not going to get golf course beauty out of your lawn.

We have also had a very dry year to date, and a lot of what you're seeing in this lawn is possibly just the result of this year's drought.

Is there a particular urgency to this issue? It seems to me (as a New Englander and a gardener) like a low priority item for a person with financial limitations. Sometimes insistence on doing the exact perfect thing is a way of saving face about not spending the money.

OTOH, clover can be quite lovely as ground cover, especially if it's kept nicely mowed.
#3 of 3 Old 10-12-2015, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got a little exaggerated there. Yeah, I should be "realistic" here. A "healthy-looking" lawn is more the goal, like the surrounding neighbors have. This lawn is a bit of an eyesore.

The lawn has been in this condition for years, not any different from the drought.

The rush would mainly be to enhance the appearance of the property for potential sale in the near future, or immediate future. (It's a unique situation that I can't divulge, but suffice it to say it would help a lot for the cause to fix the lawn in a short time and with minimal expense.)

If nothing can be done, it will have to do as-is. But I did wonder if the recommendations and such, or something else, would work. Or what steps to take.

Thank you.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page