Anyone ever replaced their grass with clover? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 04-08-2016, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Anyone ever replaced their grass with clover?

We live in Canada so our lawn is just waking up from winter We tried just overseeding a couple of years ago but it hasn't taken over much of the grass. I am thinking we should mix the clover seed with compost and/or topsoil and spread it out maybe? Or do we have to kill the grass first?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 04-13-2016, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
No. But I do think clover is an excellent addition to a lawn.

Here's the thing about grass: it is the toughest surface possible that you can still walk on. Only the heaviest traffic is going to impact it. No other ground cover is so amenable to feet, so durable to the stress animals and kids put on it. It is the very best choice. Not only that, but *keeping grass out of your ground cover* is going to be a Sisyphean task. You can kill the existing grass, but like all other weeds, it will get back in there, and you will be hard pressed to keep it out.

So I suggest this: make sure the grass is of the variety that will thrive in the conditions you give it (sun, shade, drought resistant). Seed in some white clover (looks like you did this). The clover will help fix nitrogen for the grass, and especially if you mow the lawn *frequently* and let the clippings lie. It stays green longer than grass, and can even help the lawn stay gree without extra water.

Third, let weeds grow in there. The taproot of dandelion is good for the soil structure. Some weeds create a mat that I dislike: cat's ear and broadleaf plantain are two that come to mind. Both are easy to weed by hand, but cat's ear (http://identifythatplant.com/dandelion-and-cats-ear/) usually indicates a soil problem. It will grow anywhere, but tends to take over when other, more lush plants don't thrive.

My rule for laws is this: if it's green and soft enough to step on and mowable, it gets to stay (this includes moss, which invades shady lawns where I live). I don't water the lawn, but if it gets *high traffic* you simply must. Again, it's all about how you use it. There is nothing wrong with letting it go brown in summer (which it does naturally in the PNW, but not in areas with higher summer rains). Keep the lawn space to a minimum-- and again it's how you use it. I like lying and sitting in the grass rather than in a lawn chair, but maybe you don't and therefore could use less space. I tend to want to sit in the shade, so my sunny spots are dedicated to garden. Maybe you are the opposite.

I dislike the heavy focus on groundcover instead of lawn. As a former professional gardener I have seen first hand how entirely impractical it is. If you don't want grass, plant a *garden*. Otherwise, you are committing yourself to hours and hours of maintenance, and even then, you will ultimately fail. Groundcovers, even clover, are simply too short to push out other weeds (including grass).

Sorry for the "non-answer" to your question.

"She is a mermaid, but approach her with caution. Her mind swims at a depth most would drown in."

Last edited by SweetSilver; 04-13-2016 at 09:32 AM.
#3 of 6 Old 04-28-2016, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have done just for fun and I like it.

#4 of 6 Old 08-19-2016, 02:50 AM

Yes there is no need to cut the grass. Clover and grass combination looks really very awesome.
#5 of 6 Old 11-30-2016, 09:49 PM

I have not replaced my grass with clover but have mixture of them both. And yes NaomiWalker, it really looks great.
#6 of 6 Old 12-01-2016, 02:40 PM

Cool

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page