Bougainvilla - anyone???? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-19-2002, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all - am hoping someone from a more tropical clime can help me out w/ my new bougainvillas! I live in Minneapolis and used to see these gorgeous tree/bushes all the time in Arizona, but never here.

Today was trying to find pyramid geraniums (the ones 4 or 5 feet tall) for either side of my doorway and they are all sold out. But found these gorgeous bougainvillas for the same price. I realize they will die in Sept if not brought in, but so would the geraniums, so no big deal. Will just try to give them away to someone who has space inside next Fall. Meanwhile, tell me about caring for them in very large pots! They are about 6 feet tall now with purple flowers and lots of healthy foliage. How much water and fertilizer do they want? Pruning? Any other tips? They will get a half day of bright sun with Eastern exposure and that I can't change.

Thankyou!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 06-19-2002, 05:07 AM

I've got one along my front fence. I got it for $5NZ ( approx $2.20US) in a bargain bin condition a few years ago. It's now massive & all over the fence. It's warm & humid here in the summer & temperate & damp & rainy here in the winter. I basically haven't done anything to it other than plant it. We occasionally get a frost here but it's really very minor & doesn't kill anything. I prune it when it starts attacking the side walk coz it has thorns & I don't want to injure passersby.
#3 of 3 Old 06-26-2002, 11:52 PM

I was told to fertilize with geranium food and a teaspoon of epsom salt.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page