Getting started with a garden - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-19-2001, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maybe I am just procrastinating, but I am really intimidated to get started. I have a compost pile started in a garbage can and I think I have my plot picked out, but it just looks huge! I am worried I will kill myself digging up half my yard and then fail to grow anything. Also, I am going to be gone for two weeks over the holidays, should I wait til after to plant anything? Don't even get me started on what to plant and how much. Help!!!!!
#2 of 4 Old 11-19-2001, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know much about the planting seasons for your part of the world, but I'd suggest starting small. Maybe dig a 3x3 to 6x6 foot area to start, as you get more into the swing of things you'll be itching to expand.
#3 of 4 Old 11-20-2001, 07:27 PM

Bah!!! Procrastination!!!

Gardeners are dreamers and you can do that any time of year. You are lucky to live in Hawaii cause it has an awesome climate for plants and few bugs. My advice would be to go to some local nurseries, when they are not busy. look at the plants and talk to the people there. At a good nursery the workers should be very knowledgable about plants and your area. Take a notebook and make a list of everything you like and would like to grow, ask questions and then come home and research your plants. (this is the hard core way to get started)

What are you wanting to grow? Veggies?? If so, ask them about winter or early spring crops. You may think you are too late but some things are ready to be planted NOW!!!

Good luck and we welcome the questions.
#4 of 4 Old 11-22-2001, 05:31 PM
m&m

my mom is a great organic gardener and one of her tips is to put pantyhose on broccoli and cauliflower - the bugs can't eat through as much and yet the plant grows beautifully.

good luck

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page