peonies and irises - do I cut them to ground level? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-23-2002, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know the proper way to handle these greens after the flowers are done flowering? If I cut down the peonies now, it will leave a bare area in the garden. But I personally think the irises would look better cut back.

I want to do what is best for these plants to help them look their best next year. They were gorgeous this year bc we had a perfect spring!

Peace jen
#2 of 4 Old 06-24-2002, 10:50 AM

With the iris's and the peonies, I would wait till the leaves are dead before cutting them back. They are still gathering energy for next year.

My peonies stayed green and lush long after they flowered. I left them for the greenery. After a good frost or early early in the spring I would prune them back so the old stuff was gone and the new growth could come out.

No hurries on pruning them back.
#3 of 4 Old 06-24-2002, 11:22 AM

I agree with Chanley. My peonies stay wonderfully full and bushy green with a little watering and pruning to get rid of the dead heads until fall.

As for your iris, I leave them alone, too, but take the green stalks, turn the over so the top touches the ground and secure them with a rubber band. They don't look quite so wild that way and it sort of camoflages them as they turn brown, letting the rest of my garden get the attention.

My grandmother, who had a backyard full of bulb-flowering plants, was very partial to iris. She had a ton of them, all different colors. This is what she did to all of her flowering bulb plants after they were finished showing their colors.
#4 of 4 Old 06-24-2002, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

excellent. that is just what I will do. thanks a bunch.

I can always count on the expertise of you ladies.

jen

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page