please help my ailing lavender!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-24-2002, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi all you green thumb mamas....i 'm having probs with my lavender. i originally had two big pots of it in front of the house. i recently noticed they were both turning a little yellow so i replanted them in the ground (i thought they were dying because the pots were too small and they needed more room to grow). they still look not so healthy though.

questions: how much water do lavender plants need? do they need some kind of fertilizer? is direct sunlight okay?

they were so pretty when i forst got them and i love the smell. help me!

thanks!
#2 of 8 Old 06-24-2002, 10:28 AM

Lavender is very drought tolerant and can be overwatered. Yellow leaves don't always mean the plant is thirsty. Also, any plant, esp. those in pots, do need occassional doses of a good, all-round fertilizer. Lavender also likes a lot of sun. Mine is in the ground, gets pretty much full sun, is only watered during severe droughts, and is thriving and huge. Good luck!
#3 of 8 Old 06-25-2002, 02:37 PM

Lavender....is there a nicer fragrance! It is truly my favorite herb. It is rather drought tolerant and requires well drained soil. It's not the best in a pot. When you replanted it to the ground, were the roots white or brown? Healthy roots should be whitish. Often if they are brown, it could indicate root rot which happens when overwatering. Good luck with it!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#4 of 8 Old 06-25-2002, 05:48 PM

Lavender likes poor sandy soil, loads of sun and little water. Think of the desert-y conditions in Provence.
#5 of 8 Old 06-27-2002, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter

the roots were definitely white.

and the soil i planted it in is definitely "poor"

i've stopped watering it entirely, and it looks even worse. SIGH. what to do.
#6 of 8 Old 06-30-2002, 12:37 AM

Do you know what variety of lavender you have? Not that it will matter or change anything, just curious. do you know how to make lavender wands? They are wonderful. If not, I'll try to explain.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#7 of 8 Old 07-24-2002, 08:05 PM

I'd like to know how to make lavendar wands. I have tons of wild, beautiful, relaxing smelling lavendar in my front yard and would love some ideas on bringing some of it inside.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#8 of 8 Old 07-24-2002, 09:45 PM

I will post more on the lavender wands in the next herb sticky.

All transplants need a little water daily to help restore damaged roots and get them established.

Lavender does not require much water and likes full sun in a slightly akaline soil. Think Provence France, think about where your lavender comes from and try to envision the climate and dirt. You are in California (lucky dog!! for gardening at least). They should do well in your climate.

I would not fertilize them very often. maybe once a year put a little compost in the soil around it. NOT MUCH. Most herbs prefer crappy soil.

After transplanting, did you prune them a bit? When you damage roots, it helps to take a little plant matter off of the top. Remember, those roots have to support the tops and if the roots have too much on top to support WHILE restoring themselves, you will get some die off. Thus asking for rot and fungus.

DOnt get too down, plants are all about learning and there is always next season!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page