Please help- neighbor's cat is pooping in my garden. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 06-25-2002, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How can I keep my neighbor's cat from digging and pooping in my garden ?? The spot is right in front/side of my sliding glass door back yard entrance KWIM and this Kitty is killing stuff by diggin it out, not to mention I am totally peeved about the kitty poo I am at wits end and have a neighbor that leaves her kitty outside 24/7. This spot stinks too, the cat is the size of a small dog-HELP
I have a litterbox, not a pretty flower box now.
Looking for humane ideas. I have tried letting one of my kids get him with a squirt gun, but don't want to promote this kitty-violence any longer and the cat comes back anyway.
Thanks for reading!!!
Mary
#2 of 16 Old 06-25-2002, 10:54 AM

I had this exact problem at our old house. Right next to the front door! Yuck! I tried sprinkling cayenne pepper all around the ground so that when the varmint began walking through it her nose would get irritated. That worked really well but I had to re-sprinkle every few days and whenever it rained. I soon got tired of that so I bought a product designed for this exact problem. I cannot remember the name of it but I get it at the http://drsfostersmith.com website. It worked well until the poor cat (declawed and left defenseless outside) disappeared one day. Good luck!
#3 of 16 Old 06-25-2002, 01:09 PM

In Norway my neighbor had this same problem with my cat. She planted some catnip for him in another area and he was drawn to that!
#4 of 16 Old 06-26-2002, 01:06 AM

hot sauce/chyenne works.

Cats don't like ground cover. Can you put hay over it? They hay or mulch will help retain water.

You can get plastic chicken wire.
#5 of 16 Old 06-26-2002, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

lol okay I have learned 2 things for sure- do not sprinkle the cayenne powder in the breeze or it will get all over your feet and itch like crazy ;D I also got some mulch which kitty is not liking either. THANKS if this dosnt work I am over to order those no kitty granules. (I don't want that cat in any part of my yard now, maybe I will sneak over in the dark of night and plant the catnip at Her own house---
Mary thanks again!
#6 of 16 Old 07-07-2002, 08:49 AM

I mulch with rose and bramble cuttings to repel squirrels and cats. It isn't as violent as it sounds because the critters generally have enough sense not to go among the thorns. I have gotten myself a few times when gardenong, though!
#7 of 16 Old 07-07-2002, 03:46 PM

I always put down fine-gage chicken wire type fencing and then remove it once the plants start to fill in.
We've got tons of cats in our area, and I'm pregnant and worried about toxoplasmosis exposure. The fencing has worked so far.
#8 of 16 Old 07-17-2002, 04:16 PM

OH i am sooo excited to try some of these things. My moms cat is always digging in the garden. so here goes.
#9 of 16 Old 07-30-2002, 12:44 AM

We moved into a house that previously housed 4 cats. Even though they were gone, neighbor cats still visited our flower gardens. We did OK with moth balls - supposedly the cats don't like the smell:
1) Use old containers with good fitting lids (sour cream, yogurt, etc).
2) Cut some holes (3-4 or 5) in the sides of the containers - any shape, but smaller than the moth balls.
3) Put in a handful of mothballs and cover. Place in garden every 6 feet or so (experiment with this, we just used 2 containers to cover a 14 ft strip)
4) Since most containers have sloped sides so the container gets smaller at the bottom, there shouldn't be a problem with rain getting in, but sprinklers might.

The smell wasn't so strong as to repel us from the garden, but the cats didn't seem to like it.

USE with Care with little ones around!!!!

It worked for us -- just replenish the mothballs occasionally. Once the cats stop using the area for a while, they're no longer lured to use it.

Good Luck!!
#10 of 16 Old 08-06-2002, 04:03 PM

This is why my cat is now an indoor cat. I was mortified to find her pooping in my neighbor's flower garden one day. Oops! She is allowed to go out once a week for a few hours but that's it.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#11 of 16 Old 08-19-2002, 01:15 PM

Wow, this is great! I had neighbors move in a couple months ago and they have 3 cats that all have decided my green beans are a perfect spot for pooping and bringing dead mice. I cannot tell you how gross it is (wait- you all know) I really freaked out his one day, it was just so disturbing. I went to the plant store but all they have is this chemical spray that isnt supposed to be used near food. Thanks for the tips!
Blessings
New moon
#12 of 16 Old 09-12-2002, 04:01 PM

I know that cats don't like powdered ginger either. When we had the problem we put a catbox in the yard for the cat & she used that instead of my garden! I also mulched with rose bush trimmings & pine needles! They don't like that!
#13 of 16 Old 09-12-2002, 04:37 PM

I am having this same problem, except it is in my little one's sandbox! Gross, gross, gross!
This very minute I am going to try the cayenne pepper (not in the wind!).
I can't mulch, or put chicken wire, so I do hope this works!
#14 of 16 Old 09-12-2002, 05:56 PM

cats also don't like citrus/orange smell. You can put down orange peels or use some of that concentrated orange oil....
#15 of 16 Old 09-16-2002, 01:49 PM
Liz

Various hot pepper powders used to be recommended to keep squirrels away from spring bulbs. However, it was discovered that the hot pepper powders could be very harmful to squirrels. I have seen video footage of a squirrel basically scratching it's owns eyes out trying to get cayenne off it's face. It was horrible. I would guess that it could be harmful to cats as well. Especially if they took a big snort of it.

Mulching with rose prunings is a great way to deter them. Or just plant prickly plants!

Moth balls work too but I just don't like having them around, too toxic for me (my neighbour scatters them around to deter raccoons and I can't sit on my front porch sometimes because the smell is so bad).

They really like disturbed soil so whenever you have to dig - planting something new or weeding - put a layer of mulch over it so they don't notice.

Plant densely so there isn't allot of open ground. You won't have to weed as much either!

Velveteen: you've got to get a cover for the sand box! There is no way you are going to be able to reliably keep cats out of a sand box.
#16 of 16 Old 09-16-2002, 05:33 PM

Our sand 'box' is actually a sand 'area', as it is an area right by my flower garden. Don't worry, we can't, and won't use it now, as I can't keep the cats out. OUr neighbors just put up a fence two days ago, so perhaps the worst of my problems is over. They had a mother cat and her four kittens that regularily came over here. So that is five less cats now!
It still makes me mad though, that I can't let my son play in the sand there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page