Mothering Forum banner

Homesteading?

721 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  farmer mama 
#1 ·
Are any of you mamas doing this? I'd love to hear what you grow (animals, plants, honey, etc.) and how well you like it. How much land do you have? What do your kids think about this all? My dream is move out the country, buy some land and raise chickens and goats, along with a veggie garden. Maybe spin the goats' shaved coats into yarn to make into something.
Okay, so that will probably never happen but still!! Oh, I'm so excited. I'm trying to gather as much info now so I know what we're going to be in for! Where do you learn all this from? I've never raised livestock nor had a garden before. I wish I could garden now but our backyard is flagstone, which isn't too conducive to growing zucchini!

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes! We grow lots of veggies, herbs, blueberries, strawberries, plums, apples, cherries and raspberries, we have honey bees, chickens, ducks and a rabbit. We are hoping in the next year or two to sell our place and buy a bigger piece of land with at least 20 acres and build a house out of cob, strawbale, cordwood, or whatever. Then I want an even bigger garden, lots of fruit trees, goats, sheep, a few horses...you get the idea. A good book is Storey's Basic Country Skills. There is a thread in Natural home and body care called Sustainable Living that you should check out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.