When do they bloom? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-30-2002, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1) I saw that there was a rose thread here but not with my problem. I have several little bushes around the house left by the last owners and a couple of them do not bloom at all. One os right by our chimney and gets lots of sun. The other is on the opposite side of the house and probably only gets sun midday for couple of hours at most. I have been feeding these suckers at least once a week but nothing has been happening. I have no idea if they are hybreds or what.

2) I planted some gladiolas (sp) bulbs in the early spring and the leaves have all come up but there are no flowers and I threw away the label. When do they bloom? The leaves have been up for about a month.
#2 of 7 Old 07-01-2002, 03:07 AM

what are you fertilizing your roses with? Some ferts promote foliar growth rather than flowering.

Dunno about the glads...
#3 of 7 Old 07-01-2002, 11:02 AM

My gladiolas just started blooming last week. Don't know where you are geographically, but I'm in zone 5. I'm also not sure if they will bloom this year since you planted them in early spring. May take another year.
#4 of 7 Old 07-01-2002, 11:15 AM

I'm in zone 7 and my glads are just beginning to bloom. Sorry, can't help with the roses.
#5 of 7 Old 07-01-2002, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Rats I thought you could plant glads in spirng for a summer bloom. I hate to wait.

I'm feeding the roses just plain plant food by Schutz, 10-10-10. It's an all around food not specifically for roses but it says it's okay for them.
#6 of 7 Old 07-01-2002, 06:12 PM

You may want to try a bloom fert. I know that they need a higher amount of one of the 3 (brain is foggy from being in the sun all day).

If you planted the glads in the spring they may need to be stratified this winter before they will bloom.
#7 of 7 Old 07-07-2002, 10:40 AM

Cut your roses back a lot this fall and fertilize with a blossom booster or rose fertilizer next spring (and this summer). The middle number needs to be high for blossoms.
When they do bloom, cut off the spent blooms for some repeat blossoms. If the plant makes rosehips and you want them, then don't cut off the blossoms.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page