Fear of Worms! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-10-2001, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have this totally irrational fear of worms. I desperately want to start a garden, but I am afraid to dig in the dirt. How silly am I?

Just your typical non-theistic, liberal, blended family.

Thank you, Mothering, for the past twelve years of support and community. I look forward to many more.
rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2001, 02:22 PM

My advice would be to read as much about how awesome earth worms are and start slow with a pair of gloves. Luckily I was always the moron picking up the critter everyone else was recoiling from.

I think we fear what we dont understand or know, so by learning about the almighty earthworm (who is an amazing creature that does a TON of good for the garden) you may gain a new respect for him.

http://www.sarep.ucdavis.edu/worms/

http://www.crop.cri.nz/psp/articles/...orms/worms.htm

Those links might help ya get started!

Good luck and let us know whatcha find! I
Old 12-11-2001, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Chanley, for the wonderful information. While I really enjoyed reading it, and I have a great respect for the little slimers, I still just can't stand the thought of running into one whilst happily digging in the garden. I can just feel my skin crawl and see myself doing a lovely little squeamish dance all over the yard, which my dd may think is for her entertainment
Everyone has some crazy little fear, don't they? I will start a garden, anyway, and maybe someday I'll get over it.

Just your typical non-theistic, liberal, blended family.

Thank you, Mothering, for the past twelve years of support and community. I look forward to many more.
rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

Old 12-27-2001, 07:41 PM

I have a fear of worms too!! I know, I feel silly when I'm digging in the garden and have to avert my face, draw a breath, etc., every time I turn over a shovelful. Even though I know that the more worms, the better. Have gotten used to it gradually, but cannot face a whole mass of them (ew yuck I'm even having a hard time writing this!) such as in the compost. I have a plot in a community garden and the other gardeners laugh at me. I just plain got innured to it (though they still gross me out and I try to avoid looking right at them) by working the soil. I had this fear when I was little too and my younger sister used to torture me by coming up close to me with a worm in her hand.
Old 12-29-2001, 04:33 AM

Chanley, thanks for defending us worms! Come on, guys! You like ME, don't ya?

User Tag List