favourite herbs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-11-2002, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is everyone's favourite herb. I just love lavender, and have plenty of it growing in my garden. I have french and english, but the english is doing the best so far. I love lavender essential oils as it is calming- I even use it as perfume, as it is the only safe essential oil to apply directly to the skin (correct me if I'm wrong..). I really want to try lavender cookies if anyone has a good recipe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2002, 10:21 PM

I was about to say mint (I grow several varieties, chocolate mint being my fave), but then I remembered my pineapple sage...then my yummy basils popped into my head...but what about all that great lavender? Never mind...
Old 07-12-2002, 11:43 AM

I made lavender cookies for our herb festival this year. They are REALLY good, just dont put too much lavender.

All you do is take a regular sugar cookie recipe and add 1tsp lavender buds to it. That simple. You can even use those awful betty crocker mixes with great success. These are SOO yummy!!!

My favorite herb!! How could I pick one???

Lavender is up there

Johnny Jump Ups (heartsease)

Peppermint scented geranium

and good greek oregano cant be beat

I am having a culinary affair with my lemon thyme too

Gosh this is to hard...
Old 07-19-2002, 12:35 AM

Right now I'm really diggin on my calendula and my chamomile, but Lavender is up on my list too (I just did't grow any this year, my seedlings died ~ long story) ~ and... well you guys are right this is tooo hard ~ all of them are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-19-2002, 11:20 AM

I love lavender....

but I use dill a lot in cooking

and pineapple sage smells soooo good

I love my rosemary, too

Oh, and lemon thyme!

Next year I'm definitely expanding my herb garden to include chamomile!
Old 07-19-2002, 02:33 PM

French Tarragon - love it in omlettes and with salmon.

Catmint. We discovered a Cuban drink in Key West this past winter: the mojito. So we created a Hudson Valley backyard version with catmint instead of regular mint. Fantastic! It also makes great tea when mixed with Sassafrass.
Old 07-19-2002, 02:44 PM

Chamomile, mint, sage, lavender, lemon Balm...I love them all. This year I have added Borage, Anise, Agrimony. Wild Bergamot and Cinnamon Basil
Old 07-19-2002, 04:40 PM

Bamboogrrrl - I have a large bed of catmint that I grow for the gorgeous blue flowers. I would love to know exactly how you use it! Thanks!
Old 07-20-2002, 10:18 AM

3boysmom - You can either use it fresh, or cut it back in the fall and dry it before you get a frost to use later. My plants seem to appreciate the extreme haircut. Either fresh or dried, use it as you ordinarily use herb tea. I like to fill a large jar with water and herbs and make sun tea.

As for mojitos:

In a large glass:
Juice of one half lime
Throw in the squeezed out half lime
3 drops bitters
A shot of rum
A large sprig of catmint bruised
Ice
Top off with seltzer

Delish!
Old 07-20-2002, 04:27 PM

Thanks! Sounds great, I just have to go buy some bitters!
Old 07-20-2002, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pottermamma
Right now I'm really diggin on my calendula and my chamomile, but Lavender is up on my list too (I just did't grow any this year, my seedlings died ~ long story) ~ and... well you guys are right this is tooo hard ~ all of them are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, potter, do you use either the calendula or the chamomile as skin remedies? I am thinking of trying either or both for DD's severe eczema but would like to know how others use them first.

My favorite herb right now, and the only one I'm growing at the moment b/c I'm a newbie to gardening, is rosemary...yum!

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
Old 07-21-2002, 11:25 PM

Megs mom,

Not to butt in here but have you considered food allergies as the source of your daughters eczema? That is the case in my husbands whole family. It is a dairy allergy.

Ohh and I do use my calendula for oils. Just soak some dried flower heads in oil (I like a bit of almond oil with a touch of hemp) for a few days, strain out the flowers and use the oil in recipes for salves and such.

But first I would really try the elimination diet. Works wonders!
Old 07-22-2002, 12:04 AM

Oh, Chanley and everyone, please feel free to butt in! We are at a loss with the eczema! I did an elimination diet, no results. We have explored detergents and other contact allergens as well.

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
Old 07-22-2002, 02:06 PM

Hey Megs Mom~ I am totally planning on making a salve out of the calendula, which is really why I chose to grow it, but it is soooo pretty I'd grow it even if it didn't have any use at all I was going to do something more with the chamomile too but I just love chamomile tea so I'm just drying the flowers to keep for that!!!
Ds had pretty bad eczema (although not so bad as some of the kids I've heard of now ~ seemes pretty bad for him though ). I was always told not to bathe him so much (Dh has eczema and he swears the showers make it worse) but then I read someone on these boards suggest to shower them lots (her child had really bad eczema and she would shower them 2xs a day ) but don't dry them off and just lather them up with cream (Weldena's Calendula baby cream works wonders for Ds when he gets really bad patches ~ but I usually use cocoa butter on a regular basis). Makes for a really slippery kid but he only got a few patches this winter ~ which is pretty good!!!!

T
Chanley ~ The info I have on making oils (Susan Weeds Herbal for the Childbearing Year ~ has recipes for tinctures, oils, etc in the back) says to let it sit for 6 weeks then decant. Do you think longer is better or is a few days as you say good enough (for medicinal purposes)??? This will be my first time making a salve from scratch so any help would be appreciated!!!!

~Back to our lists of favorite herbs!!!!!!
Old 07-22-2002, 03:29 PM

For cooking I love cilantro, oregano, basil, mints, sage and thyme.
For medicinal purposes--echinacea, calendula, & chamomile.
Old 07-25-2002, 07:26 PM

We're always using dill, oregano, sage, thyme and mint. I'm getting better at harvesting them and drying/bottling excess.

I want to grow cilantro.. we didn't do that this year and I'm really missing fresh cilantro in my food!

I'd also like to get an aloe plant for cuts and scrapes.

Been quietly hanging around here for over 10 years.  

Old 08-05-2002, 06:00 PM

BASIL! It finally got mentioned by Ladylee. I love basil in a recipe with tomatoes, pasta, and brie. Nothing like fresh basil, so fragrant.
I have been increasingly more curious about lavender. What is the best way to start it? And when?

User Tag List