Something's eating my hostas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-14-2002, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We just bought a house (3 months ago) and I've never really gardened before. I have no idea what I'm doing!! I need help from someone who won't tell me to put chemicals on my lawn and flowers. So, what's eating my hostas? Little holes all over the leaves. Someone told me it's slug and that I can "buy something to kill them." What should I do?
#2 of 4 Old 07-15-2002, 09:43 AM

Slugs love hostas. There are several natural ways to deter them.

Put out a shallow pan of beer in the same area. They are attracted to it and will drown...a bit disgusting and inhumane, but it works.

Spread coffee grounds. The acidity repels slugs.
Crushed egg shells supposedly work, but I've never tried it.

Hope that helps some!

Carolyn
#3 of 4 Old 07-15-2002, 06:08 PM

Pull the mulch away from the base of the hostas. This is where they live. Sink the beer so it is level with the ground, like an in ground beer pool. They will literally RUN into the beer. THe cheaper the beer the better. Think snails are slow, HEHEHE put out some cheap beer.

Diatomaceous earth will kill them. It cuts them up.

IF you go out at night and see them, you can spray them with an amonia/water solution. Make sure it is pure amonia not hte colored scented junk. Amonia will turn to nitrogen in your soil and will kill slugs on contact. Try not to get any on the leaves, it might burn them.

DONT use salt, it is bad news for your dirt.

good luck they are slimy b#$W%^%^&... and are hard to reckon with.
#4 of 4 Old 07-15-2002, 07:21 PM

We have this problem too. For some reason, the slugs seem to prefer the more verigated smaller hostas than the bigger more green ones. Hmmm....more tender maybe? Anyhow, the cheap beer in a shallow yellow dish works. We use yellow because it also attracts any wasps during the day time. I put out bits of egg shells before, and I guess they were good for something to eat because they were always gone in the am. If the hostas are near/under any acid loving things (like rodedendrons/ pines ) I would use coffee grounds too! Good luck!

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page