covering citrus trees in cold weather?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-10-2001, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hey all! i'm back with another question about dd's beloved placenta tree. it is a meyer lemon tree, about 4 feet high, and potted outside in a large terracotta pot. i planted it back in june or july and it has a bunch of beautiful lemons (and some flowers) on it right now.

i am a totally clueless gardner (TCG ) and i really really really love this tree (because it has dd's placenta buried in the pot). so i really want it to live. i seem to remember hearing that citrus trees need to be covered overnight on cold nights to avoid freezing.

my questions:
1) how cold does it need to get in order for a citrus to need covering? we live in the san francisco area, and the coldest it gets at night in the dead of winter is around 35 degrees. average night time temp is prolly 45-ish degrees.
2) what do i use to cover it? a tarp, blanket, towel?
3) what if it's raining AND cold? do i still cover it? is a tarp a better option here because if i use a towel or blanket, it'll get soaked and weigh it down.

<sigh> i need some help here folks!!
thanks much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2001, 12:58 AM

San Fran has got to be the most awesome place to garden. Everyone has such lush gardens. Ahhhh I remember the wonderland of plants just walking down the streets (actually I am thinking Berkeley).

Anyway, I think you are fine unless it is gonna freeze. (low thirties). To cover it, I would use an old blanket. If it is raining, use an old shower curtain or tarp.

My biggest advice is always to go to a garden center and talk to a gardener. They love it and will help you more than I ever could since i dont live there.

Good luck (has it bloomed yet? citrus blooms are better than sex!)
Old 12-11-2001, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

chanley, thanks so much!

yes! it has bloomed. it is amazing. we keep it about half way up our long driveway, so i pass it every time i take the trash out, and just walking by is divine. i have heard that the meyer lemon blooms are the sweetest smelling.

User Tag List