Help DLB, ET AL! Brown spots! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-22-2002, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I admit it I love my rose bushes now...I know, I know...I used to hate the things, but these roses simply have me besotted

If this helps, it has been in the 80's during the day and we've had 1/4in of rain this month. There are brown/black spots on some of the leaves. I've been following the advice to prune right above a five-leaf branch(?), but I've also been pulling off/pruning anything with the spots.
Any more advice?
#2 of 5 Old 07-22-2002, 03:36 PM

This is pretty common for roses. It is called (so aptly) black spot. Gosh who are the intelligent botanists who name this???

It is a fungus. The only solution I can offer is to get a spray. It is pretty hard to keep them from getting this.

I would also try to make sure they are getting enough nutrients and such.

Another handy thing with any fungal problem is to make sure you dont get water on the leaves. When you water your bushes try to only get the base wet, not the plant.

I am sure others will be able to offer more natural solutions.
#3 of 5 Old 07-22-2002, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

:LOL
Water my bushes? I don't even dust my house!
(maybe I should just pay more attention to them, my house plants are doing great...: )
#4 of 5 Old 07-24-2002, 02:34 AM
dlb

Location: between the silence of the mountains, and the crashing of the sea....
Hey Sunmountain--

There is a product made by Safer, that is basically just diluted liquid sulfur, You can spray that on the new growth to help prevent the fungus from spreading to it, but the leaves that are already affected are doomed, so it is great that you are removing them.

I don't really always take the time to remove the blackspot, just if I happen to see some affected leaves while I'm picking flowers. Kinda haphazard, like my life . Pretty much I just make sure that my soil is happy, that makes the plants strong enough to survive blackspot, ect... I guess the concern is that a rose bush could be defoliated, and not build up enough energy to get through the winter. But with happy soil, the plants seem to rebound eventually in my garden, just like a very healthy person can fight off a cold without meds and such. And if any of the roses are going to be weak and fussy, they get culled.

Hope that helps, didn't mean to get all preachy soundin' with plant philosophy. Sounds like you are doing a great job!

I am so flattered that you named me as a "rose" person in this post! Cool.

DLB
#5 of 5 Old 07-24-2002, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

DLB, girl, ya got 175 of the dang things, if you ain't a rose person, who is?

Thanks for the responses, guys. At least I know I'm not doomed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page