Is Miracle Grow bad? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-26-2002, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have several trees that we planted a year ago that just aren't growing very much. Once they are established they will provide privacy for our yard, but they are growing so slow and I am impatient. Is Miracle Grow bad for the environment or the tree, or.....? I would love to speed up their growth but I don't want to harm anything in the process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 07-26-2002, 10:32 AM

bad for human consumptin and environment.

www.peacefulvalley.com

organic ferts.
#3 of 5 Old 08-01-2002, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mirical Grow is better than many furtilizers because it supplies trace minerals to the plants not just the major 3 nurtrients to grow the plant.

Especially if you are not eating the fruit of these tree's or anything it probably wouldn't hurt. It defintely does help things take off.

I have used it to get small garden plants started but then only use organic fertilizers after they are set in the ground.
#4 of 5 Old 08-04-2002, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

No, we will not be consuming anything off of these trees, but I don't want to harm the environment, either. Is it safe for Mircacle Grow to seep into the soil and eventually to our drinking water? :
#5 of 5 Old 08-04-2002, 12:47 PM

Miracle grow IS bad for the plants and the soil because it builds up salts in the soil, if you get lots of rain to wash out the soil, this is NOT much of a problem.

However, if you do not get lots of rain, it will render the soil useless over a period of time. There is some farmland in CA that is useless due to water soluable ferts like Miracle Grow.

Plus, mg does nothing to build the soil and make it healthier. I can understand using a little of it on potted plants but not in a garden. You could achieve the same results with some good garden teas I would think.

Miracle grow creates a high nitrogen soil, which will grow plants big, quick. This is not always a good thing for your plants and CAN make them susceptible to insects and other problems. Slow and steady wins the race in my opinion.

I reccomend soil building, adding compost, worms and other good soil building amendments to your dirt. This will give you the best garden and the healthiest soil. Ok, so what if you dont have the time or ability to do this for THIS years garden? Well using Miracle Grow for one year is NOT going to make the earth a barren place. IF you cannot get aroudn it, use it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page