Tomato Growing Questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-02-2002, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
kel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm growing 4 different types of tomatoes this year, 2 of which are heirloom varieties - "Cherokee Purple" and "Caspian Pink". All of my plants are huge and the 2 non-heirloom varieties are really producing, but the heirlooms' production is really low. The plants are giant, and they produce quite a few flowers, but each plant only has from 1 to 3 tomatoes growing on it. The other flowers bloom for a while and then dry up without producing a fruit.
I'm wondering if this is normal for heirloom varieties, or am I doing something wrong?

Any ideas? Thanks!

-Kelly

Handmade dress shop owner and mama of five - our littlest just born in December! ♥

#2 of 9 Old 08-03-2002, 12:50 AM

I am curious also, this is happening to one of mine also and I think it is an heirloom. I am not sure, but I bought it at the farmer's market and a lot of them there seem to be.

Anyway, I hope someone can help.

Stephanie

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
#3 of 9 Old 08-06-2002, 12:17 AM

last year we grew mr stripey heirloom tomatoes. they were fabulous!!!! the best thing we did for them was to pinch back the plants. worked great to get them to produce.
this year we have heirloom yellow tomatoes in with the beef steak and plums, and boy they are loving this heat....we have so many i think i will be canning for a week!

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#4 of 9 Old 08-06-2002, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
kel

Thanks!

Handmade dress shop owner and mama of five - our littlest just born in December! ♥

#5 of 9 Old 08-06-2002, 02:28 PM

Thanks.

Stephanie

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
#6 of 9 Old 08-06-2002, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
kel

Stephanie-

I posted at www.gardenweb.com in the tomatoes forum and hopefully I'll get some more responses over there, too - you should go check it out. I read a couple things over there - one is that some tomatoes don't produce well in 90'+ weather, which is what we've had lately. Another is to flick the blossoms to help with pollination. Some people prune their tomato plants - I assume thats what serentabbie meant.

-Kelly

#7 of 9 Old 08-06-2002, 02:50 PM

Thanks you very much, that gives me another place to ask all my silly questions

Thanks,
Stephanie

#8 of 9 Old 08-07-2002, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was watching a show the other night (Gardening by the Yard- love that show!) that mentioned basically what Kel said- that they stopped or slowed when it was over 90. However, it said that as soon as it dropped, the plants should recover and begin producing.

Funny, serenetabbie- we tried for some Mr. Stripeys a year ago and got nothing! Tons of tomatoes from our other varieties but not one Mr. Stripey. Bummer.

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

#9 of 9 Old 08-14-2002, 09:09 PM

hmm, i guess i ment puning......but what i do is pinch the little branches that grow out of the "y"s......kwim? and i pinch off the branches that have only leaves on them, and no flowers. we just started to do this last year and have noticed a big jump in production.
Blueridgewoman ~ that does stink about the mr. stripeys! they sure are good One year we planted tomatoes near the boxwood hedge and those giant hornworms ate the plants just about over night, so i sure know how disapointing it can be to try so hard to grow something and have it produce nothing.
kel ~ thanks for the link!

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page