need help growing cilantro - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-05-2002, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is my second year to grow cilantro, and again, it is not doing well. Everyting else I plant does relatively well. Last year my sister helped herself and took some and after that, I did not have any more. This year, a little better luck, but not much. The leaves are small and thin. I snapped off the flowers, hoping to encourage growth, but it did not help much. Any suggestions? I do not know what it needs - wet or dry, hot or cool. I assume hot and maybe dry as I associate it with Mexico. Thanks.
#2 of 5 Old 08-05-2002, 09:16 PM

This is the first year I've grown it & it's doing well. Our temps here have been in the 90's lately & even the occasional 100+. The spot where I have mine is mulched down really well so stays pretty moist & it gets only midday sun.
#3 of 5 Old 08-06-2002, 12:12 AM

well, i too live north of philadelphia!
i have never had any problems with cilantro. i grow it in my front garden with the flowers and other herbs, and ignore it like the rest! one year i planted it with the tomatoes and it did so well i ended up with not only enough cilantro and corriander to last me all year, but loads to give away. do you grow it from seed? for some reason the stuff i start from seed seems to do better than with any transplanted cilantro.
it has been so hot and dry here these past few weeks, we are actually watering the garden this year.

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#4 of 5 Old 08-07-2002, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Serenetabbie, I am near Perkasie - is that anywhere near you? No, I did not grow from seed; I bought at the nursery already growing. Is it too late to start seeds now? Most likely, unless we have a really late frost. Now I know for next year. Thanks.
#5 of 5 Old 08-14-2002, 09:00 PM

I am a bit north on 309 from Perkasie, near to Allentown.
You really could start those seeds now if you just wanted cilantro. It's been so hot, I'm sure you could get a small bit to come in
It does pretty well in a pot on a windowsill too. Mine has already bolted and gone to seed outside. Maybe mine does good because I use the seeds from the plant that has already adapted to our soil? Hmmmm......
Sorry to reply so late...we were off camping

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page