growing a mango seed? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-05-2002, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just ate a lovely mango and want to plant the seed. Dh is from India and they have a large mango tree shading their house. Thought it would make a nice gift for him. We live in Phoenix so the conditions of mild winters and mostly warm weather I think would be ideal for a mango tree. I have no idea at all how to get a mango seed started. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#2 of 4 Old 08-05-2002, 09:50 PM

I think mangoes are zone 11. which you are not in, at least I dont think. I am pretty sure the lack of humidity will make this plant a challenge for you.

However, it may work.

Try this to get the seed sprouted. Gently nick the hard coating on the seed with a pair of nail clippers. gently peel off the hard shell. You will find the real seed in the shell. Take this and put it in a zip lock with some moist sterile soil. You can get this from a garden supply store. Make sure it is good and moist NOT soggy wet. Plu the seed in the bag and put it in a low light area. The seed should sprout but if I remember correctly it may take some time.

Good luck, mangoes are the best!
#3 of 4 Old 08-05-2002, 09:51 PM
ici

I've grown several mango seeds in the past and they are great! The new growth comes in red--much more attractive than an avacado.

What you go is use scissors to cut the papery coating from around the seed. Get a pot a least 6" in dia and bury the seed horizontally under about one inch of dirt. Aparently there is no way to tell which end will spout, so keep it horizontal. Keep the soil moist and you should have now problem.

The book I originally got this idea from said that only about one in three seeds sprout--but every one of mine has. Just remember to keep it moist, or the young plant will die quickly in the summer heat.
#4 of 4 Old 08-06-2002, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I have two seeds so I'll try both ideas. I have a lot of large tropical indoor plants, and this mango may be one of them until it gets bigger. Normally I put the plants out in good weather and bring them in when it starts to frost. I have seen 2 mango trees in nurseries but they were $$$ so it would be great to see if I can grow one! I think I can get past the humidity problem by watering a lot. Our neighbors have bamboo and plantain plants and they are thriving because they planted them in partial sun and they get lots of water.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page