What can I plant... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-19-2002, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
in November?

From November 1st we will take over a plot in our community's garden. I have heard that we can plant winter spinach then and nussli salat (a lettuce specific to here). Any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 08-19-2002, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Carmen,

I live in rainy Oregon, and grew up in Alaska--since you are writing from Switzerland, my first question is are you gardening in a large heated greenhouse or using some sort of a heated cold frame?

I always assume that your winters in Zurich were probably like my winters in Valdez, very, very snowy. Am I wrong? Where I grew up we usually had snow on the ground before October 31, with an extremely short autumn preceding a very long winter.

Things I am able to grow outdoors in the winter here in Oregon(because we have no snow) are:

brassicas of all kinds, cabbage, kale, brussels sprouts
chard
tat soi and other chinese greens

These plants respond beneficially to a frost, as the frost produces a build up of sugars in the leaves. Makes them very, very yummy!

If you are gardening outdoors I would think it would be important to start these plants at least 6 or maybe 8 weeks prior to planting for any hope of getting a harvest--they need time to mature and harden off before being place outdoors. Additionally, a cold frame or floating row cover would extend your harvest 2-4 weeks.

There are great books about gardening in cold country. It might not be too hard to build a cold frame with heat cords sumberged in the bottom--this is the "new" way to do it, and requires a power source. In the old days people used to take some uncured/unaged manure, dig down a couple feet, and line the pit of the cold frame with the manure, then put a couple feet of soil over the manure, and then plant. The decomposing of the manure provides heat for the cold frame for the winter.

Hope some other true cold-country gardeners respond to your query!

Cheers, Leann

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page