Getting a garden!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 12-23-2001, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Only a couple of more weeks until we move into our house with a HUGE yard, all for me & Bella Babe to garden!!! The house has a lovely pecan tree that just showers the yard with yummies. It also has a rosebush out front that looks like it just might bloom with some TLC. I am so excited! Where should I start? I have never had a garden before.

Just your typical non-theistic, liberal, blended family.

Thank you, Mothering, for the past twelve years of support and community. I look forward to many more.
rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

#2 of 2 Old 12-23-2001, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First of all take a deep breath.

The first step is planning. Decide what you want, start small or you will be overwhelmed.

If you want a veg garden decide where you want it. THen think about what you are gonna plant and where, then decide how bug you need.

I reccomend making garden beds by digging down a foot and adding what you need to make your soil perfect. To do this, you are gonna need to identify your soil type.

Start reading. you will need to learn how to prune your rose bush. Save your coffee grinds, roses love the acidity. Just dump the grinds aroudn the bottom then as the water seeps in the dirt it will get to the roots of the rose.

The pecan tree is a no brainer, I have two in my yard. The only complaint is all of the nuts falling everywhere that i have to rake up.

It helps if you have more specific questions. There are tons of links here and I would also reccomend goin to the library and checkin out some gardening books. Do it now, this summer you wont have time to read them, you will be busy weeding and harvesting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page