Kid-led weaning in dairy goats? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-04-2005, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't even have an acreage yet, but when I do I would like to have dairy goats, so I've been reading a bit about them today. A recurring theme is that if you don't wean the goats you will never have milk for yourself, and if you want milk in goats that are still nursing, you must separate the doe from her kid during the day or night in order to milk.
But, wouldn't the supply rise to meet the demand, just like human milk? Could you not milk your goat regularly, thus increasing her supply, while keeping the kid with the doe 24 hours/day? The material I've read states supply will start to wane - but isn't that only true if demand also starts to wane? I just can't see myself forcing a kid to wean any more than I could wean my own dd. Has anyone done it this way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2005, 12:46 AM

I know nothing about goats, but we had cattle and we let babes be with moms and we still got plenty of milk for what we needed. Did Ezzo write that book you read? :LOL
Old 04-05-2005, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesternmomma
Did Ezzo write that book you read? :LOL
:LOL
It seems to be in every book and every website I've looked at! They all give a weaning schedule, and essentially say that if you don't wean, you won't get enough milk And if you don't separate mom and babe for 12 hours out of the day, you also won't get milk. It just seems wrong. In fact, it seems counterproductive. But oh so "scientific"
Old 04-05-2005, 01:51 AM

I have a friend who had the baby goat nurse on one side and she milked the other. For about a week she put first aid tape on the nipple she milked from so the baby only nursed on the other. After a few days the goat only went for the untaped nipple. The baby weaned itself (GLW-goat led weaning?) and then the mama had one full side and one with not much milk.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer mama
I have a friend who had the baby goat nurse on one side and she milked the other. For about a week she put first aid tape on the nipple she milked from so the baby only nursed on the other. After a few days the goat only went for the untaped nipple. The baby weaned itself (GLW-goat led weaning?) and then the mama had one full side and one with not much milk.
Oh, that's great to hear! Whenever I get goats, that is soooooo what I'm going to do! Thanks farmer mama!
Old 04-05-2005, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer mama
(GLW-goat led weaning?)

But, in all seriousness, that MIGHT work. When we had cattle we milked morning and evening and inbetween we turned everybody out to pasture. Moms and babes were together all the time except when mom was hooked to the machine. Worked for us! Good luck though, we had a goat for a while and the darn thing was in to EVERTHING and left major droppings everywhere. Far worse than any two year old you've ever dealt with!

User Tag List