? about container gardening - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-20-2005, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I never got my garden bed dug up; 2 years in a row, at least. *sigh* So last night I finally went to home depot and got a few plants and some large pots (though I'm not sure they are large enough????) to start a deck garden. I also got some lettuce seeds. My question(s) is/are:

1. Is it too late to plant them?
2. How do I got about it? the directions talk about rows, and thinning, etc., but can I just spread some seeds in a pot and do it htat way? I was thinking I'd start a pot a week until I ran out of seeds:
3. Does that make sense?

any other advice for growing my salad? It's the produce I spend the most on, and I can never get it organic at my grocery store, so I'd really like to grow my own.

Thanks, and if you have any thoughts on what size pots I need (for tomatoes, squash, eggplant) feel free to chime in with that too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 05-20-2005, 08:32 PM

Are you planning on growing them into heads of lettuce? If you are, I would follow the spacing guidelines. If you're planning on having just the baby greens, you could sprinkle them & pick as they mature.
As far as it being too late... I don't know. We're in zone 6 we were supposed to plant them on 2/14. We didn't plant ours until early April & we're about to be able to start picking them... we've got mesclun mix out for baby greens.

As far as the pots for other veggies go... I'm not sure but I would check out the spacing guidelines on the seed packets & pot accordingly.
HTH! Good luck!
#3 of 7 Old 05-20-2005, 08:39 PM

check this page out
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/e...container.html

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#4 of 7 Old 05-20-2005, 08:58 PM

Agreed, depends where you are. I'm in Northern CA (San Francisco area) and I tried planting lettuce this time last year and it all died, the weather was too warm. Lettuce is a cool season crop and really should be started in late winter or early spring from seed. But depends on your weather; you might want to ask your local nursery.
#5 of 7 Old 05-20-2005, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all. I'm in MD, can't remember what zone that is, but it is already getting quite warm. Hmmm, maybe I could put the lettuce pots in my basement next to the sliding glass door: they'd get light, but it's cooler down there.

The website rainbowmoon suggested says to put tomatoes, egglplant, etc in 5 gallow tubs. I checked my cat litter buckets, and they are only 4 gallons. I don't think any of my plant pots are bigger than that I could exchange the ones I just bought, I guess. Or go buy new, they weren't that expensive.

Home depot is not helpful at all, and I'm not really sure what nursery I could ask :
#6 of 7 Old 05-21-2005, 05:55 PM

I don't think it'll matter that you have 4 gal. vs. 5 gal. containers. 5 gallon might be optimum, but it doesn't mean that your plants won't be happy in a slightly smaller container. You might have smaller or fewer vegs, but maybe not. My first year gardening, when I didn't know a thing, I put four cherry tomatoes in one maybe 2 or 3 gallon pot, and we had tons of tomatoes. I guess the plants were just smaller than they would have been in the ground or on their own. Eggplants are wonderful container plants, by the way. Your lettuce will be fine, too. Just make sure you eat it quickly because it goes to seed pretty fast in hot weather, and that is when it turns bitter. Just remember, gardening is not an exact science, and plants can be pretty forgiving. They *want* to live. Here is a fun website with lots of links: http://www.journeytoforever.org/garden_con.html
Just remember--if something doesn't work, you can do it differently next year.
#7 of 7 Old 05-21-2005, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Katja. I planted the eggplant, tomatoes and squash in the 4 gallon tubs (1 per tub). Actually one of them, an actual plant pot, may be 5 gallons. I planted the herbs in smaller (2-3 gallon) pots. I haven't done the lettuce yet. I need more soil.

Beemama, I have no idea if I'll try to get heads or not. Do those kinds of lettuce form into heads? : I have no clue about lettuce, but I use half a head or more of romaine a day, so I really wanted to try to grow some. The seeds are a mesclun mix and a gourmet salad blend, if that helps.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page