Do I have to tie Cauliflower up to keep it white? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-15-2005, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When do I need to tie the leaves on cauliflower to keep it white? I have a few plants which I think aren't going to amount to much (planted too late and it's so hot now), but they're starting to have little white heads inside and I don't know what to do.

Anybody growing it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2005, 08:25 PM

If it isn't self-blaching, then yes, I always tie it.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks farmer mama (I knew YOU'd know the answer!). Should I tie it now, or at a certain size? The last time we grew cauliflower, I think I was around 11 years old, so my memory of how to is quite poor.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:08 PM

Um, I usually just start loosely tying them when the heads are small, but I think some people wait until the head is around 2 inches across. With your hot weather you may want to do it now. I have had a little trouble with cauliflower not forming a good head in hot weather, so don't despair if they urn out a little funky.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I tied 3 of the 6 up tonight--two are almost 4 inches across, but loose and a bit purple on the edges. So I caught them a bit late, but I think they'll be OK. The other 3 are lost causes. Two of them bolted and the third one looks like it might too...they don't even look the same--they look like choi sum or something.

ETA...I don't despair about much in the garden. I try to plant things where they should do well, and let it go. If it thrives, so be it--if not...that's that.

I am a tad worried about my one currant plant, which was covered with fruit. One whole branch turned yellow and is dead, in under 2 weeks. I can't figure that out to save my life--looked for signs of a borer but don't see any. I have to go hit the books for an answer, and cut the offending branch off in case it can spread, I guess.

Thanks again for the cauliflower info.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:07 PM

i think i have heard that if you let them be natural they have a bit more vitamins, tho they don't stay white, also next time you could grow purple califlower wich doesn't need to be tied and is bright purple! i have always wanted to grow purple califlower it is supposed to be healthier also

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

User Tag List