Quick and cheap way to hide the neighbors yard? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-30-2005, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a small back yard. On one side, there is a three foot chain link fence that overlooks my neighbors yard. He has a pit bull type dog tied up back there. This makes me nervous, since the dog breaks the collar every few months. So far he is a nice dog, but... Also, when my dogs come outside, this dog barks and barks and barks at them. And the neighbor feels justified to just climb over that fence into my backyard, and I dont like that. And he has some ugly stuff back there.
On the other side is a five foot fence with another dog!! This one is not tied up but is always back there. Their yard is trashed, he runs and kicks up dust which comes into our yard and he jumps on the fence and barks this really high pitched bark!!
So, how can I hide these two yards? We are broke broke broke, so it has to be something cheap and quick and at least 6 foot tall. We have lots of english ivy growing in our yard, so we could use that, but how?
Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2005, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sunflowers? they are tall, fast, and provide a good cover. seeds are cheap enough but it is probably too late for that.

now would be a gopod time to look for hedging. Most garden shops (the kid out front of drug/discount/grocery stores have thier plants marked 50%-75% off. I was at ace hardware the other day and they were giving away the last of thier plants. again this isn't an immediant solution but it would be a lasting one. and atractive.

another option would be to find some intresting lumber or something and recycle it into a privacy fence. not sure what kind of neighborhood covenences and building codes you have for suach a thing would be thoguh.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 07-30-2005, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If the ivy is planted in good locations, you should be able to put up basic lattice-type framing and train it up as a privacy screen. When we were in a townhouse iwth a little back yard I put up plain wooden lattice sheets (leftovers from my parents) and got a few bougainvilla plants to train on it (the $10 ones at Home Depot). I did have to rethread the vines through the lattice every month or so to get good coverage, but it only took a year for it to be fully covered.

Don't know what city you're in, but do you have a local Craigslist?? I've seen scrap lumber, lattice, even plants, etc that people list in the free section. You might find something acceptable there.

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
Old 07-30-2005, 10:16 PM

i'm seeing something like this made out of driftwood: http://www.rusticgardenstructures.co...3126/index.htm with your ivy trellised on it.

heartbeat.gif

Old 07-31-2005, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

i was going to do sunflowers, but when they die inthe winter i would be back to the same problem. I will look into hedging and see if I can get a good buy. WIll ivy grow in sun?
Ugh, we have to do something quick. This dog next door starts this high pitched barking every time I bring the dogs out and doesnt stop until they go in. Yesterday the owner actually called him inside for about five minutes while he was doing it, but then he threw him right back out!
Old 07-31-2005, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
i doubt that a privacy fence would completely solve any dog barking problems. might not even partially solve it. i have a barky dog. he mainly stays inside, but still barks whenever he smells anything or hears or sees anything. i guess a fence might help, but only with the seeing. he would still hear and smell other dogs and bark up a storm. he's also a people dog so he doesn't want to stay outside unless we're out there with him.

anyway, i think the ivy would probably grow fine in the sun and love those linked rustic garden structures.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
Old 08-01-2005, 02:37 AM

Is there a 'freecycle' or something like it where you live? People are always giving away plants on our freecycle, and you could post that you're interested in hedge-type stuff (if you're willing to dig you'll get more offers). Bamboo is terrific for a quick privacy screen (if it's planted responsibly - you have to plant it with a barrier or it will rapidly take over yours and your neighbors yards). It's expensive at a nursery, but because it grows so rapidly people are often wanting someone to get rid of some.

Where do you live? I ask because in some areas ivy is considered invasive (like here in Seattle).
Old 08-01-2005, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Speaking of Ivy it will eventually ruin whatevr it is growing up. So if it isn't your fence you will want to avoid it. If it is your fence then you are free to do whatever you want. We have a tree problem that is wrecking our neigbors fence. we hope to get out of here before we have to replace it but if the fence gets mangled before we move we will ahev to replace it promptly.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 08-01-2005, 01:41 PM

Yep I second Craigslist and Freecyclers. I gave away a 8X10 lattice so I know you can find them.

I have jasmine growing up one side and down the other on the right fence. It REALLY helps insulate sound. I took a couple and planted them on the left side fence to start it growing. If you can stand the flowers it grows fast.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:50 PM

I have seen a lot of people here using some sort of grass mat, pieced together along a fenceline.I tried to find a picture , but couldnt. It really doesn't look too bad, and I think it would be really inexpensive. Maybe double plain beachmats from the dollar store? Or maybe you could actually find some at a building supply store??

:
Old 08-01-2005, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

I am in washington as well. The ivy came with the house. I was planning on putting it in containers if I use it all through the yard.
I am going to ask on freecycle, but I hadnt thought to ask for hedges too. Good idea. I was just going to ask for fencing.
I think I know the grass mats you are talking about, and they are expensive. Like, $50 per little area. And they dont give complete privacy, you can still see through them
Old 08-01-2005, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
boysrus, i'm rethinking about the ivy. we have it on our yard in NC and it's horribly agressive and will go up trees. we've really worked to get rid of most of ours. you might want to check in your area and make sure it's not the menace there that it is here. the www.gardenweb.com forums might have some ideas for you, too. good luck with it. hedge is sounding good to me.

hey, sweet potato vines (like the kind you eat!) grow quickly for summer and maybe you could take your time finding some hedge plants.

hth

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie

User Tag List