Mothering Forum banner

How to prepare soil for replanting a blueberry bush

983 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  suwannee 
#1 ·
I have a potted blueberry bush that I found all overgrown with weeds when I moved into our new house...poor thing was in a shady corner and it had only 2 leaves on it.
I have since started a veggie garden and want to replant it there, but have been reading up on blueberries, and apparently they like a really acidic soil (like pH 4.5 - 5) and that using sulphur takes a while, you have to wait a few years for it to lower the pH. How can I prepare an acidic soil fast?

I was thinking of using some pine needle humus as we live in a forested region in NW Arkansas. Would this be acidic enough?

Can you buy bags of acidic soil?

Also, how much sun do blueberries need? Is full sun ok?

thanks

#2 ·
Here's a very cool site for getting a good blueberry potting mix:

container soil for blueberry

And here's one for commercial growers that talks about other issues along with the soil requirements, but if you're looking for help on site planting the advice above may be impractical to translate to in-ground planting. This might help you with choosing the best place and preparing the soil.

blueberry for commercial growers

Linda

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.