Food Growing Mamas 2006! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 258 Old 11-13-2006, 12:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Subbing...

I was horribly slack about tending the garden this year (it went all to weeds, what a mess!), but I'm hoping to be back in the swing of things next year.

I usually have corn (I know, it's a space and energy hog, but a fresh ear of sweet corn, dripping with butter, is like heaven to me), but I don't know if I will next year or not. Always lima beans, tomatoes, and sunflowers; sometimes spinach, peppers, green beans, blackeyed peas, and strawberries. I have a 14' x 14' veg bed, with a small herb bed attached, and about six raspberry canes.

Farmer Mama, I am so envious of you being able to eat exclusively from your garden! I dream of someday having enough time and space to do that, or at least to come a lot closer than we do now.
#242 of 258 Old 11-13-2006, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
Melanie- I have had much better success growing from seed. meaning I have only ever gotten them to produce from seed. I will check out that link! I am pretty new to gardening (well I grew up gardening with my fols but they live in a better area for it, it's much easier where I grew up-upsate NY) but my goal is to someday grow most of our own produce (year round eventually). it's so hard here in the desert though and I have had very little successes but I keep trying every year!

I don't know at all if my tomatoes will really grow, we'll see! I have seeds already and hanging baskets so it's not like I will be out anything (except my time) if not! I also planted thai peppers yesterday. it supposed to make a good houseplant..again, we'll see!

right now is the time to plant garlic here. I am thinking of trying it..but our dirt is very rocky though and I know garlic likes good soil. not to mention I don't know where Id put it in the yard.. has anyone grown garlic in containers? btw do you get 1 head per clove planted?
It's my goal to one day sustain myself off my own produce as well! I still have a long way to go though. I think it will require graduating, finding a job, and buying a house with a yard.

As for the garlic, if I'm not mistaken, I believe the link you found earlier briefly discussed garlic. I know the Bountiful Containers book covers it as well.

I'm crossing my fingers for your tomato plants. Nothing parallels the taste of homegrown tomatoes.
#243 of 258 Old 11-13-2006, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer mama View Post
Garlic is really pretty easy. If I was going to grow it in containers (I haven't) I would think at least 6+ inches. The biggest thing I have found for growing great garlic is lots of composted manure and keep it weed free. You get one bulb (multiple cloves) per 1 clove.

As far as my food growing... Right now I have planted 9 varieties of garlic, some for our families eating, some for gifts, selling and barter, and of course next years planting. I have also put in multiplier and walking onions. My winter garden is doing really well. It feels great to be eating exclusively seasonally from our garden (with some winter squash, garlic, onions, shallots, dried apples, canned tomatoes, pickles, sauerkraut, jams, etc) Out of the garden we are eating kale, collards, mache, carrots, beets, chard, leeks, scallions, turnips, parsnips, spinach, rutabagas, cabbage...my snow peas, favas and cover crops are coming along. Walla wallas will be ready in the spring.Gotta love the pacific northwest for year-round gardening!
Wow! What zone do you live in? I really wanted to start a composting pile with one of those turning compost bins, but there's no way the graduate/family housing where I live would approve it. I do have a wooded area behind my apt and I'm thinking about starting a secret one there. Is that wrong?
#244 of 258 Old 11-13-2006, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLobsterTV View Post
Wow! What zone do you live in?
Zone 7 with amazing Southern exposure. I plant winter hardy veggies starting mid-July and sow seeds until the end of October. They grow until it starts to get cold and then remain in a sort of ready to harvest stasis until spring; so I just plant enough to last the cold months. Some of the greens I grow under cover. Half my garden is devoted to winter crops. Territorial is a good resource for this. http://www.territorial-seed.com/stor...ieties_C12.cfm
#245 of 258 Old 11-13-2006, 11:50 AM

farmer mama- I would love to see pics of your garden! what do you think I can plant here that will grow? (I'm in s. az)

also how to I find out which zone is mine? I have always thought 8 or 9 but last year I ordered something from a nursery and it said 7b on the box? we are at 4,000 feet in the high desert. my guess is, temps range from the lower teens in the winter (nights) to 80/90 in the summer (night). Daytime temps can range from 40-105 depending on the season. we do get snow usually a couple times a year but just a dusting..the most it's ever snowed was 6 hours and that all melted within 12.

I need to reset up our compost pile..my dad took it down not knowing what it was (he thought it was garbage)

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#246 of 258 Old 11-13-2006, 01:02 PM

I found my zone at: http://www.garden.org/zipzone/index.php

The site's pretty need with helpful hints and such.
#247 of 258 Old 11-13-2006, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLobsterTV View Post

ooo ... instructions on harvesting seeds, great!

Leave pod crops on the vine until the pod dries. Harvest before the seed is dispersed. Similarly, harvest seed heads after they dry but before dispersal. Just what I was looking for.

Yeah, takes a lot but soo yummy.
#248 of 258 Old 11-13-2006, 01:44 PM

according to that link I am zone 8b. :

#249 of 258 Old 11-13-2006, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
beachsea- what area of the country are you in? what will you plant in your garden? I am drawing plans up for my yard and stalking trees, bareroot fruit and seeds. since I can only do a little at a time I need to plan well in advance! anyway it's my new little obsessive project.
I am in the Chicago burbs. I will plant a variety tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, onions and beans. As well as tons of herbs. I never have luck with beets or carrots nomatter how well i till or soften the soil. The bunny ate all my cabbage, melons and kolarabi this year as each one flowered, grrr!
#250 of 258 Old 11-13-2006, 05:03 PM

Subbing

I'm really interested in learning what I can grow in the colder months, I know not much as we are in the mid coast area of Maine, but you ladies are sooooo knowledgable!! I'm bound to at least be able to extend my growing season a bit each way by learning from you all!!

ETA, just found out from the very helpful link above, that I am in zone 5a

Edited again to ask,
How do you use your zone to help you grow appropriately? The reason I'm asking is that I lived in Taos NM (where I have most of my limited gardening experience ) up until we moved in April of this year to Maine. They are both zone 5a, and there is so much difference in heat, sun exposure, water, soil, and especially temp (Taos has amazing highs and lows, and it is difficult to grow tomatoes without a green house cause the nights, even in summer get cold, whereas, I got amazing tomatoes in Maine, and I even started them late). There were things I can grow here in Maine that just would be so difficult to grow in Taos. Curious if anyone has any advice.
#251 of 258 Old 11-14-2006, 10:05 AM

ok my above post is wrong. I am 8a!

is anyone else here is zone 8a????

#252 of 258 Old 11-17-2006, 01:35 PM

[QUOTE=Earth Angel;6524999]Subbing

I'm really interested in learning what I can grow in the colder months, I know not much as we are in the mid coast area of Maine, but you ladies are sooooo knowledgable!! I'm bound to at least be able to extend my growing season a bit each way by learning from you all!!
QUOTE]

You should check out anything by Eliot Coleman, particularly his book Four Season Harvest. He is a year-round gardener in Maine. The biggest issue I have found with year-round gardening is to plant at the right times. Like in July it is hard to switch gears and get planting again, but it is sure worth it come winter!
#253 of 258 Old 11-19-2006, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMomma View Post
I tried some purple carrots last year but they were orange so I don't know what happened there! I have purple podded pea seed galore. If you are in NZ PM me your address & I will post you some. Check out www.koanga.co.nz as well.
I'm not in NZ - what a shame, I would have loved to do a seed swap!

I nearly lost a lot of my garden due to a late (and very heavy) frost, but lucky DH heard on the radio that we were in for a weather change overnight and he got them covered. Phew! There are lots of unhappy gardeners in my area at the moment.

Everything is growing steadily for me. The veggie patch is starting to look really good.
#254 of 258 Old 11-19-2006, 12:17 PM

[QUOTE=farmer mama;6561924]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Angel View Post
Subbing

QUOTE]

You should check out anything by Eliot Coleman, particularly his book Four Season Harvest. He is a year-round gardener in Maine. The biggest issue I have found with year-round gardening is to plant at the right times. Like in July it is hard to switch gears and get planting again, but it is sure worth it come winter!

Thank you, I will definately check his info out
#255 of 258 Old 11-19-2006, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMarmalade View Post
I nearly lost a lot of my garden due to a late (and very heavy) frost, but lucky DH heard on the radio that we were in for a weather change overnight and he got them covered. Phew! There are lots of unhappy gardeners in my area at the moment.
We don't usually get very heavy frosts as we are coastal but we did get a couple of heavyish ones this year. The horse poo was frozen solid! My main garden losses are due to wind damage or drought. It's been very very dry here & the grass had stopped growing. I was starting to think about watering the garden. Until last week when it rained for several days & now my grass has grown 2" which means my whole garden looks overgrown.
#256 of 258 Old 11-19-2006, 07:05 PM

We've had lots of rain too ... the weeds loved it . It took me hours yesterday to get rid of all the little sprouts.
#257 of 258 Old 11-19-2006, 07:26 PM

I'm redefining what I term a weed or I think I would go mad. As long as it is not in the way of anything or crowding anything out, I am ignoring it. Unless it is something dodgy like ragwort or spikey like thistle.

I'm now thinking about planting another crop of lettuce & salad greens to keep us going for after xmas. Plus maybe some turnips & swede for autumn.
#258 of 258 Old 11-20-2006, 01:22 AM

All this talk about weeds, gardens, growing grass. *sigh* You guys try not to be jealous of my dead, brown grass and bare trees, ok? It takes a lot of work to get them that way.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page