How can we kill our lawn without chemicals? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-03-2003, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DH and I would like to seed a new lawn but the old one hasn't completely died yet. My DH wants to kill the lawn but I don't want to use any chemicals that will stay in the soil since I want to start a produce garden. We live in Northern Cal where it never snows. Any ideas? I would have done a search of the archives but I'm too lazy I guess
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-03-2003, 02:54 PM

Dig up the old lawn! It isn't that difficult and it is a really good workout. I dug up my lawn last fall (granted, it was only 14 square feet) and built a flagstone and thyme lawn.

If this is impractical, I recommend aerating your lawn very, very well - you can rent an aerator - to make sure the new seeds get a chance at life.
#3 of 4 Old 03-04-2003, 11:29 AM

This is ugly but you could cover it in black plastic for a few weeks. This will prevent light from getting to the existing lawn and will kill it. I have seen folks do this and we have done it in small places.
#4 of 4 Old 03-04-2003, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Pony and Chanley for the great ideas! I'm going to talk to my DH about this and see what he thinks. I'm leaning towards aerating the lawn although it would be more labor intensive.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page