How do I rid my yard of cat urine smell? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-28-2006, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Over the past year, the local cat population has exploded, and unfortunately, they have all taken up residence in my backyard. So there is a horrible, horrible smell when I open my windows. I put down pepper flakes to deter the cats from coming back, but I need something to get rid of the smell. Also, it seems like the smell has attracted yucky flies, too. :

Anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to use anything potentially toxic to my family, but the smell is really bad enough for me to consider going that route.

Thanks in advance!
#2 of 4 Old 05-28-2006, 09:29 AM

I seem to have the same issue,but only with 1 cat(other dead).Besides getting a trap(free loaner usually from city) and catching each(then calling animal control) I would suggest planting some very fragrant bushes.Once you rid the area of the cats you could spray some of that (expensive) urine neutralizer.It does help,but I would not want to spend the $$$ till the cats were gone.

To keep the cats off the yard you can lay down chicken wire. I read they hate stepping on it.Cats don't like citris smells,but those don't last long.
#3 of 4 Old 05-29-2006, 11:26 AM

Cats do dislike citrus smell - you could soak some shards of terra cotta pots in lemon or orange oil and scatter them around. It should take some time for all that oil to work it's way out and wash away. The enzyme stuff will help a little, especially if you pour it on heavily and then cover the area with plastic for a few days so it won't evaporate (though that would kill your plants or grass).
#4 of 4 Old 05-29-2006, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try the "recipe" posted here and see how that works. I'm hoping the garlic/pepper smell will overpower the kitty smell, and keep the kitties away for the moment.

I think I'll finally make that call to the animal rescue folks in the morning. I saw one of the kitties in my neighbor's yard yesterday and she is VERY pregnant. On one hand it's cute, but it also means more cats to use my yard as a litter box. :

If that recipes doesn't work, then I'll move on to the citrus. Thanks, again.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page