Tomato plants wilting - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 06-29-2006, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I know the first thing you will say to Tomato plants wilting is that I am not watering enough. But I water them every day. Each plant is in a 10 galon black container mixed with 1/3 dirt from the yard, 1/3 compost and 1/3 peet moss.

What could be the problem?
#2 of 14 Old 06-30-2006, 12:09 AM

Watering too much? Where are your containers placed? If in a hot, heat reflectinga area (i.e. a deck, cement, or blacktop, etc.) or in the direct sun for most of the day, then that could cause wilting, sometimes temporary, sometimes not. How wilted are they? Sickly looking like it's gonna die? Or, leaves drooping for part of the day and then perking back up (still not good, stressful for plant but possible can be redeemed). Tomatoes and all plants have different needs/requirements when placed in planters. It's trial and error. I hope you figure it out soon! Good Luck!
#3 of 14 Old 06-30-2006, 02:44 AM

My tomato in a container needs a TON of water. I think mine's in a 5 gallon pot, but it could be 10. Anyway, I have to water it til it's soaking every day. I did notice yesterday that the dirt had eroded and some of the roots were exposed. I added more potting soil, and it didn't seem to be as wilty today.

When I was little, my parents would take a 1 gallon milk jug, poke a hole the bottom, and fill it with water. They'd leave that out next to the plant so it would gradually get watered over the course of an hour or two. However, with my (huge!) potted tomato, that just doesn't ever seem to be enough, so I just thoroughly soak it daily. The tomatoes we've gotten so far have been INCREDIBLE (and I'm not a tomato person)!

Ulrike, mom to:
Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)
#4 of 14 Old 06-30-2006, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, the leaves are not jsut wilting and perking back up, I am pretty sure they are on thier last leg. The containers are in my yard, no shade at all, and the containers are black, so the dirt does heat up quite a lot. I have drainage holes in them and water until water comes out the holes each evening. Is there any type of natural fertilizer I could put on them to help them out? Or maybe moving them closer to the house would help, where they would be albe to get some shade. I really wanted tomato plants this year! My pepper plants, which are planted and watered exactly the same are flourishing.
#5 of 14 Old 06-30-2006, 12:42 PM

Mine does get shade a good part of the day (it's in the sun 11 am to 4 pm or so), and it's producing like mad right now. You could try watering in the morning. That's supposed to be "healthier". Adding some organic fertilizer shouldn't hurt, either.

Ulrike, mom to:
#6 of 14 Old 06-30-2006, 06:03 PM

Sometimes I "double up" the plant pots (rotating the inner on 45 degrees) to cut down on the loss of water from the holes at the bottom.

In a really hot, baking situation, I would cover the pots with something white, or cluster many lower-growing plants around them, to keep things cool.

And be sure to try growing chili peppers! They low hot weather!
#7 of 14 Old 07-03-2006, 08:24 PM

I just heard on a radio gardening show that tomato leaves can curl from the wind. I had this happen to some of my tomato plants and I thought they were wilting. There is nothing you can do. This might be the problem.
#8 of 14 Old 07-04-2006, 07:19 PM

Oh, I think that might be my issue. Does the wind/leaf curling affect the plant negativly? If you block the wind will the plant recover?
#9 of 14 Old 07-04-2006, 08:40 PM

tomatoes dont just need a lot of water (they like moist soil) but they love just being moist. i mist the leaves several times a day if possible, keeps em healthy looking, oh, and if you havent already mulched around the plant it would prob be a good idea.

Creating Art. Living life on Guam. Sharing my Journey.

#10 of 14 Old 07-05-2006, 10:23 AM

it does effect them negatively (the damage from wind), the leaves that curled eventually turned yellow and I removed those leaves/stems. If you can protect them when it's windy, it can prevent it from happening.
#11 of 14 Old 07-06-2006, 04:04 PM

There are also some tomato varieties that look wilty, culy-ish and that's just how they look. Are the leaves a nice green color? Are there blossoms?
#12 of 14 Old 07-07-2006, 04:09 AM

There are several diseases that tomatoes are susceptible to that can cause them to wilt, usually with dying leaves starting at the lowest leaves.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

#13 of 14 Old 07-21-2006, 12:47 AM

Do you have aphids? We noticed this problem too, and sure enough, under the leaves were the bugs. Gotta find a good remedy for them now.

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#14 of 14 Old 07-21-2006, 02:15 AM

Easiest remedy for aphids is water. Try a "firm" spray of water from the hose, and be sure to get the under sides of the leaves. Read about it here or here.

Ulrike, mom to:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page