Northern Mountain Ash Berry Jam - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-27-2006, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last year I made some Russian Olive Berry Jam from a friend's field of bushes. As of yet I havan't met anyone else who has heard of it but it was so yummy and went way too fast! I could eat it everyday and be happy! I feel funny asking to pick more this year because we don't talk often and haven't gotten together in a long time.

The good news it that we were sitting out under out Northern Mountain Ash trees tonight and I noticed that they have an abundant supply of berries. I have looked it up as best I can online and it does look like I can make jam from them, but I would like confirmation. Does anyone know for sure? Will it be half as yummy as Russian Olive Berry Jam?
#2 of 5 Old 07-28-2006, 01:25 AM

I have no real idea! I looked also, and it does look like you can make it... I can look in some of my older cookbooks in the morning if you would like, but I am not sure I will find anything. Is it also called Rowan? this article says YES to jam!

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#3 of 5 Old 07-28-2006, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

I think that they are related but not quite the same. The Mountain Ash is different too. My tree looks just like that, except the leaves are not so smooth and the berries are orange.

Thanks for looking. If you find anything let me know!
#4 of 5 Old 07-28-2006, 04:15 PM

We have those trees and were always told the berries were poisonous.
#5 of 5 Old 07-28-2006, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

I called the extention office and they are waiting to hear back form several experts. From everything I have read so far it looks like the seeds (and possibly the berries before they are ripe) have a lot or perrufic (sic) acid and can cause kidney damage, but heat changes it and makes it edible, and freezing first increases the sugar.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page