Can I still eat/sell these peaches? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-29-2006, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My parents are out of town on vacation and we're watching the house.
My mom's peach tree was ready and I got about 30 lbs of luscious brightly colored organic peaches off before the japanese beetles ate them all.

But most of the peaches have little black round spots on them - not a lot, but they're noticeable, about 1/8" in diameter, pretty regularly round or oval, they don't look mold-ish, but I am SERIOUSLY unexperienced with gardening.

I'm thinking it must be from the beetles? I can't find anything about japanese beetles leaving black spots, only information about black spot, on the intarweb.

Are these peaches ok to eat?
I can try to post a picture later if more info is needed, but I have to charge the digi battery first.
My mom gave me permission to set up a 'peach stand' with my son and sell them (they have more peaches than they will EVER use in their deep freezer), but I want to be sure they're ok to eat first.
Maybe I'll make a pie.

edit:

OK. It appears to be "bacterial spot".

I can't find anything about it being unsafe to eat these peaches, however, I also cannot find anything about it being safe to eat these peaches.

Anyone know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2006, 11:55 PM

I would say they're fine to eat. I know peaches i have gotten end up with some black spots and we haven't died.lol If the spots are only on the outside of the skin just don't eat the skin or cut that part out.

Do you have a canner? it is easy to can peaches and 30lbs won't get you too many cans that you wouldn't eat them all.

I wouldn't sell them though.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:32 PM

Why can in the hot summer? Maybe the tast is far superior, but they do freeze great. Half them, pit them and freezum! I love to wait til the cold of winter to enjoy the summer fruits we put up, like berries. Really keeps you dreaming of the hot harvesting days.

treehugger.gifdust.gifflower.gifjoy.gifbroc1.gifsuperhero.gifRainbow.gif
Old 08-13-2006, 10:57 AM

Yep, I've eaten peaches with black spots on them. I certainly wouldn't buy them though.

I agree with cut em up and freeze em. They make great smoothies.

User Tag List