Seeds vs Plants - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-30-2002, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, this will be my first solo garden (have helped neighbor in past years, but have moved). We are at a new house. The previous owner had a big garden so I have a spot. Beyond that I am feeling overwhelmed, especially with the seed vs plant. I don't know if I can grow seeds inside for transplant but much of what I read suggests that. Help! I'm so excited about having a garden but need some guidance.

Thanks,
Anna
North Carolina
#2 of 5 Old 01-30-2002, 12:17 PM
kel

Being horrible with house plants, I also usually fail at starting seeds indoors. What I do is direct seed everything I can right into the garden - which is honestly just about everything - flowers and vegies - lots of things grow great this way. For the few that need a head start, such as some herbs for instance, I buy seedlings. Good luck!

Handmade dress shop owner and mama of five - our littlest just born in December! ♥

#3 of 5 Old 01-31-2002, 12:49 AM

This will be my second year of having my own garden, so I offer only enthusiasm and not much experience. I love starting things from seed, indoors and out. The choice of varieties is so much greater with seed than with plants. The up-front cost of seed is lower (though I guess you'd have to factor in success rates, and the extra effort). And I just love seeing the sprouts come up. I get more out of that than from the harvest, I think.

I had good luck starting tomatos and peppers indoors last March. I did buy a 2-tube flourescent work lamp to put over them. ($20 or so at Home Depot). I had less luck with lettuce started indoors, and peas -- weak and lanky. They both did much better planted directly outdoors.

My mom's the expert gardener, and she always planted peas, beans, corn, carrots, radishes, melons, lima beans, that's all I can remember now, from seed direct in the garden, and bought tomato plants. She didn't grow peppers, or start anything inside.

Best of luck.
#4 of 5 Old 01-31-2002, 12:58 PM

Some plants are not as easily transferred from seedling pots to garden and should jsut be sown directly in the garden.

I never plant a bean seed inside. Peas and the such do just fine sown directly into the ground.

If you dont wanna bother with seeds indoors (they can be a pain to get them enough light so they are not lanky), just buy your tomato plants. I no longer buy plants (since we have a nursery and my Dh has the knack for seeds unlike any man I have ever met) but I used to buy tomatoes, eggplant and bell peppers every year. I just found those to be a pain for me to start as seed. THO some do it and get beautiful plants.

If you have the money, why not try the seeds, if they dont work, compost them and buy some plants?

Ohh and dont bother with lettuce or spinach unless you live in a realllly cool area. Those are fall crops in most places.
#5 of 5 Old 01-31-2002, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I'm excited to know you all are out there for help Here is what I want to plant:

Sweet Peas
Yellow Beans
Plum tomatoes
Bell Peppers
Zucchini
Squash
Asparagus?
Maybe a lettuce mix

I know this sounds ambitious, so I may pare down, but I have the space.
So with the lettuce I can't plant any until fall? Any other hints or tips on the things I want to try. I will do plants for the peppers and tomatoes, the rest seed? What about asparagus, is it hard to grow? I just love it to eat so wanted to try.

Thanks again for the help.
Anna

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page