Cheap Landscape Edging Ideas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 10-07-2006, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have any ideas? For various reasons, I don't want to be transporting anything large like logs or timbers or bricks (or paying for it!!). Any suggestions for a relatively affordable low (like 4-6") border than I can use to mark off flower beds? I have several trees that I want to mark off an area underneath to put in beds.

Amy
#2 of 26 Old 10-07-2006, 10:22 PM

Great question. I wish I knew the answer!

Ulrike, mom to:
Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)
#3 of 26 Old 10-08-2006, 09:10 PM

I'd love to have some ideas too!
#4 of 26 Old 10-08-2006, 10:00 PM

watcha got laying around.

if you dont want to buy something and dont want to lug something, it is going to have to be something laying around somewhere.

I would say rocks if thsoe are native to your area. But that is something heavy and weeding between those can be a challenge.

you could plant some edging. here, monkeygrass is used a bit. dwarf boxwoods are used a bit in the northeast.
#5 of 26 Old 10-08-2006, 10:44 PM

rocks rocks rocks!
#6 of 26 Old 10-08-2006, 11:40 PM

We've used 2 x 4's. They're not the prettiest but they are cheap and if car space is a problem most hardware store will cut them in half (or smaller) for you for free. That might not work for around trees though.
#7 of 26 Old 10-09-2006, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Wine/beer bottles. It sounds strange but I've seen some nice borders made by burying them, neck down. You do need a lot of bottles though.
#8 of 26 Old 10-09-2006, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Now that's the ticket!! Recycling at its best! I should get started drinking more
#9 of 26 Old 10-09-2006, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I should get started drinking more [/QUOTE]

Hey, if it's for the greater good!
For a nice seasonal beverage, hard cider comes in pretty green glass bottles
#10 of 26 Old 10-09-2006, 10:34 PM

Check this out (scroll down to the second photo)--it's basically a handmade woven "fence," and I think it's lovely. And here is a more formal and slightly more expensive (but still cheap) variation on the same idea.
#11 of 26 Old 10-09-2006, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

I love these ideas!! Esp. the bottles. If they were filled with colorful stuff they would be even more attractive. I'm not sure how it would look as the main border for my front yard where there are more formal architectural shrubs, but I think I'm going to start collecting wine bottles!

MIL is cutting down her grapes for the season... wonder if she would give me the naked branches to weave.
#12 of 26 Old 10-09-2006, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessMommy View Post
rocks rocks rocks!

My old house was on a mountain and all I could do was trip over rocks...couldn't dig more than an inch in that yard without hitting rocks! My new yard has dirt like butta....just turns right over, with no rocks. Feast or famine, I tell ya!
#13 of 26 Old 10-09-2006, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=20505

The former owners left me quite a bit of lumber in the garage, and we're about the demolish an old wooden fence. I wonder if I could try something like this. However....would I not have to treat the wood first? Otherwise, wouldn't it deteriorate in a few years? What about an exterior paint or enamel, and then a sealant, to dress it up? Any thoughts? Ooh, ooh....what about deck stain? That would do the trick.
#14 of 26 Old 10-14-2006, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwuko View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=20505

The former owners left me quite a bit of lumber in the garage, and we're about the demolish an old wooden fence. I wonder if I could try something like this. However....would I not have to treat the wood first? Otherwise, wouldn't it deteriorate in a few years? What about an exterior paint or enamel, and then a sealant, to dress it up? Any thoughts? Ooh, ooh....what about deck stain? That would do the trick.
I have used this system... unless your lumber is the exact thickness of the plastic corner units, it is a PITA to assemple.
#15 of 26 Old 10-16-2006, 02:57 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Once upon a time, several houses ago, I got a really good deal on bowling balls. 2 for a nickle at Goodwill. I bought 260, if I remember right. Flower bed borders, edging a fishpond, waterfall, and a retaining wall. All different colors. ElderSon thought I was crazy. Possibly so.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#16 of 26 Old 10-16-2006, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarhu View Post
Once upon a time, several houses ago, I got a really good deal on bowling balls. 2 for a nickle at Goodwill. I bought 260, if I remember right. Flower bed borders, edging a fishpond, waterfall, and a retaining wall. All different colors. ElderSon thought I was crazy. Possibly so.

That has got to be the COOLEST Goodwill find I've ever heard of. What a score. I think I'd have had a hard time moving without them! Do you have any photos?

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#17 of 26 Old 10-16-2006, 11:47 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Sadly, no photos. Even sadder, the new owners of the house took it out, pond, bowling balls and all, and put in a lawn. Sigh.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#18 of 26 Old 10-23-2006, 06:48 PM

Great ideas, especially the handcrafted stick and branch edging. I do have athought on the bottle idea, if one or more broke you could have a dangerous situation.
I wanted to share my experience. As a professional gardener I often make hard edges with just a spade. Of Course there has to be a lawn or some growth to distinguish between the flower bed and the surrounding area. I wish I had a picture. Of course any edging does not save you the labor of having to weed the flower bed anyway.
#19 of 26 Old 10-27-2006, 06:41 PM

Old or broken bricks can be had cheaply at masonry suppliers or a Habitat for Humanity Re-Store, if there's one nearby. If you sink them in some sand, and place them tightly together, you can form a nice curve around your tree and have minimal "grass creep."

If you want it to look more natural, clear out your bed area and edge it as deeply as you can to destroy grass/weed roots along the edge. Then bury some of that ugly (but cheap!) flexible plastic landscape edging, right down to 1" above ground level so it's not visible. Mulch the bed well, and plant groundcover plants like monkeygrass all around the inside of the edging. You can mow right up to the monkeygrass but never see the edging.

If you already have some groundcovers growing and can divide them, that part is free. If you have to buy them but can't afford them all at once, just put them in a couple at a time as you can buy them. They fill in by themselves, somewhat.

Good luck...this is what I'm about to tackle too, and the latter seems to be the lowest-maintenance, lowest-budget solution I can find!
#20 of 26 Old 10-28-2006, 09:54 PM

I have just used a variety of materials we've had passed along. Our boys ripped a picnic table apart and we used the boards for an edging. Also found about 20ft of wooden fencing at a thrift store for a few dollars.

Wife to my Denali-climbing DH
Mom to DD born Jan. 08 and DS born Oct. 09, and "baby sister" due Oct 2013!
House mom to ten boys, ages 8-11 at a group home! Yes, I must be nuts!
#21 of 26 Old 11-05-2006, 01:47 AM

On Cape Cod I once saw paths through flower beds made with big white clam shells. The owner said he would pick up them up on the beach and add to them over the years . People walking on them just crunched them up. He had quite nice chalky white borders.

Just a thought. I like the grapevine fences. If you ran a double row with the front one a bit shorter, you could plant hens and chickens in the groove.
#22 of 26 Old 11-05-2006, 03:26 PM

not in the safest category, but our neighbour used broken terra cotta pots.... looks cool! he--clearly-- doesnt have kids.....
#23 of 26 Old 11-05-2006, 07:27 PM

When developers dig lots for houses they usually uncover massive amounts of rock. Sometimes this rock is really good looking once it is rinsed. We picked up some really nice rocks that made our herb garden look like it was professionally landscaped. You can just ask for some (they get rid of it or sell it to landscapers anyway) and they will probably give it to you (or you can go after work hours).

homebirthing organic mama to three crazy boys very blessed!!
#24 of 26 Old 11-10-2006, 05:39 PM

Sweetiemommy, thank you SO much for that idea! I was wanting native rock, but had no idea how to get it for free, legally. They're developing a plot next door to the place my parents lived when I was born and I lucked out on some beautiful rock. So colorful and sentimental as well . Going back for my second load tomorrow!
#25 of 26 Old 11-20-2006, 11:36 AM

If you have any fallen trees with decent size trunks you could saw them up about an inch or 2 thick and lay those out.
#26 of 26 Old 08-03-2013, 03:15 AM

plastic bottles filled with water and neck buried, they can also be painted, you do need a few but some recycle center's will give you what you need if you tell them what you need them for, asking pubs or mall food courts may also help with supply. i done this with my old house looks fab and lasts,glass tends to shatter and crack with lawn mower and heavy frost also unsafe for kids. good luck

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page