White "powder" on my rose - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-08-2006, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a miniature rose that I'm growing indoors. It's growing beautifully, but I noticed a white powdery substance on the leaves today. There isn't any dust in the area and, last I checked, I don't think my roses have a cocaine habit. Any clue what this is? This is my first time attempting to keep plants in my house. I've been doing well so far.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2006, 03:16 AM

Powdery mildew. Very contagious, unattractive, but not life-threatening.

Make sure the rose has excellent air circulation, gets plenty of light and is never watered from above (including splashback from the soil). I live in the PNW, home of the fungusy roses, and live with this. I like to think it looks like snow.

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
Old 10-10-2006, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Ahhhh, thank you. I'm glad it's not life-threatening. I was happy that this plant has done so well with me, since I'm new to keeping plants. I'd be upset if it got sick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmama View Post
I like to think it looks like snow.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

Old 10-12-2006, 02:32 AM

You can spray it with neem oil - it is organic and very effective (may take a few weekly treatments). It is made from the berry of the Chinaberry tree. Should be available at Lowes and any other garden center type place. The powdery mildew can spread to other plants....

I swear I misread the title of this post 4 or 5 times as white powder on my NOSE. Seesh.

User Tag List