dry cement mix to get rid of mice/rats ??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-28-2007, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,
I remember a long time ago someone telling me about a non-poisonous way to get rid of rodents. We have rats and mice in the ceiling and under the house that are chewing wires.

The recipe involved mixing concrete powder with something?????

Cheers, Kimmy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2007, 10:50 AM

Hi Kimmy,

I don't know anything about the cement mix method. We have problems with mice in our house and we've done a few things. The first was my husband worked hard to find as many access points as he could and he fixed them. We had a lot of holes in our foundation. I told hubby we should just put out a tiny red carpet and an awning. I was amused endlessly by that mental picture; hubby was not. They still get in so we haven't found all their "doors", but the problem is much smaller now. Second we started trapping in our cellar with catch and release traps, and when we catch one we release it several miles from our house. Then for our main living areas we got this plug-in pest repeller, and it seems to have worked. We don't find mouse turds on our kitchen counter anymore. Now whether that is a result of steps 1 and 2 and the pest repeller has nothing to do with it...who knows, but I don't care either...all I know and care about is that my kitchen is mine

Mama to 3 year old DS and awaiting #2 in June
Old 02-08-2007, 11:18 AM

:

Subbing ... or more like hoping. We have seemingly-ever-bigger rats in our barn, and want to get rid of them while bothering the other critters that come around as little as possible.

Though I agree with the above poster .. live traps & minimzing whatever draws them are probably it if you're looking for humane ways out.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:45 PM

I don't know if this is an old wives tale so take it FWIW.

I have known many older folks who use human hair. I used to work as a hairstylist in a retirement community. alot of the folks leave for the whole summer and there homes and vehicles are not occupied. (pack rats are a big problem taking over your vehicle if you leave it sitting usused) anyhow, sometimes we would have people come in for a pile of our leftover hairclippings. apparently you tie it up in a sock or pantyhose and place a few of these around where you might see mice. They supposedly are repelled by the human smell.

HTH!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 02-08-2007, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
I don't know if this is an old wives tale so take it FWIW.

I have known many older folks who use human hair. I used to work as a hairstylist in a retirement community. alot of the folks leave for the whole summer and there homes and vehicles are not occupied. (pack rats are a big problem taking over your vehicle if you leave it sitting usused) anyhow, sometimes we would have people come in for a pile of our leftover hairclippings. apparently you tie it up in a sock or pantyhose and place a few of these around where you might see mice. They supposedly are repelled by the human smell.
I seem to recall hearing something like that too. I did have one personal experience that would go against that, but I think the experience was really out of the ordinary so just keep that in mind. Once I was visiting a friend who lived on a farm commune type community. The buildings are very old and not in the best of shape and there was/is a big mice problem there. We were sleeping on mats on the floor and in the middle of the night I was woken up by an electric shock type feeling. I didn't wake up enough to fully understand what happened but when I told my friend the next morning and showed her my finger, we realized that a mouse had taken a nibble at my finger. He had no issues with my scent! It was such an absurd situation that I wasn't even freaked out. It was then that I realized the reason she slept with a light on was because the mice avoided the light, and I had put my head as far from the light as I could. The next night I slept in the light also. Ah, good times, good times...

Mama to 3 year old DS and awaiting #2 in June

User Tag List