Collecting rainwater - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-18-2007, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone collect rainwater? I'd like to make my own water catcher instead of buying one. Any ideas???

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 03-18-2007, 10:18 PM

I'm wondering too...my biggest question is how to collect the water but at the same time protect from mosquitos which are a BIG problem where we live! Thanks
#3 of 8 Old 03-18-2007, 11:38 PM

I found some plans online. I know I need to install gutters though. I was just going to buy the biggest garbage can I can find and route the downspout from the gutter to a hole cut in the top. I was also going to add a hose connector near the bottom of the can, and screen the hole in the top to keep the leaves and bugs out. I'm still trying to decide how big the can should be.
#4 of 8 Old 03-19-2007, 09:44 AM

I am going to do this.The rain barrels I have seen online cost atleast $100 and are usually 55 gallons.Sometimes you can find local companies that will give away used food grade barrels.I have not so I am thinking of getting a heavy duty garbage can.I will cut a hole in the lid and screen it.Drain will be right over the hole.Would need to add a hose somewhere along the top/side to divert overflow either into another can,or it would flow out into the yard. I have read that you can put gold fish into the barrels to eat any larve,or drop some mosquito dunks into them.
#5 of 8 Old 03-19-2007, 01:58 PM

I would be concerned about the plastics used in a standard garbage can (as opposed to food grade barrel), since they're not intended to ever come into contact with food. Anyone know where to find the info on that?

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#6 of 8 Old 03-19-2007, 02:58 PM

We were lucky enough to have a family member work at an industrial/trucking plant that was eager to give us 15 55-gallon drums made of food-grade plastic. They used to hold windshield washer fluid, but they have to clean them before they can dispose of them and then we cleaned them again. Some are under our gutters others are set up to simply collect free falling rain.

Living in Mississippi, the mosquitos were a big concern. So we did a couple of things. First the finest mesh screens we could find went on top. Then we planted several mosquito 'repelling' plants around the barrels like lemon balms, catnip, holy basil and I can't think some of the other ones. Last summer it seems to work fine...we'll see if that remains the same this year. You do have to get the plant oils into the air, so you have to "mess" with them to serve their purpose. But we walk around constantly bothering all our plants anyways, and we like to check on the rain barrels too. Also, we spray our yard with our mosquito mixture in the late evening every week or two if we notice the mosquitos are bad. It is a mixture of water, bio-degradable soap, lemon essential oil and I think we used some canola oil. It works wonders...

natural living, cloth diapering, babywearing, intactalactivist mama to 2 beautiful boys both born at homehomebirth.jpg ~ ds1 July 8,2007 and ds2 born December 31,2009 and loving my awesome dh!! mdcblog5.gif
#7 of 8 Old 03-20-2007, 01:34 PM

goodearthmama, can you tell me more about your mosquito mixture. We have a big problem with mosquitos because there is a retention pond a couple houses down from ours!
#8 of 8 Old 03-23-2007, 03:36 PM

I actually wrote it down last year and will have to go look for my "recipe". As hot as it has been here the past 2 weeks I need to get it out anyways...

Will respond back in a new thread when I dig it up!!

natural living, cloth diapering, babywearing, intactalactivist mama to 2 beautiful boys both born at homehomebirth.jpg ~ ds1 July 8,2007 and ds2 born December 31,2009 and loving my awesome dh!! mdcblog5.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page