Brand spankin' new at vegetable gardening--help, please? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 03-24-2007, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're going to buy a plot at our community garden, and I've been reading and learning about vegetable gardening. I was wondering if you ladies could help me decide what to plant.

I'm in zone 8, if that helps. I want mostly veggies and herbs, and maybe some flowers--I'm thinking sunflowers, or daisys. I am intimidated by the thought of starting seeds here and transplanting them, so I guess I'll be buying some plants, but I'd like to keep the price as low as possible.

Any suggestions? I'm so excited, and it's something that the whole family wants to do so it should be fun. Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 03-25-2007, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
The smaller you buy the plants the cheaper they will be.I have often found plants at walmart that were marked down.Poor looking things that I was able to divide and nurse back to health.Sunflower seeds are a good thing to try for kids.You can make a sunflower/morning glory house.The sunflowers you can start indoors.Morning glory seeds you soak 24 hours then plant outside since they don't like transplanting.With your zone you can do a lot of tropical type edible plants.Tall grasses are next too.Gourds of all types are fun for kids.Also plants that have nice scents.Tomatos are at the top of the list for veggies.So many types to try out.Basil,dill,paresly,chives are common herbs that are often very cheap to buy.
#3 of 6 Old 03-25-2007, 12:09 PM

I don't know if this is an option where you live, but our local farmer's market has a farmer who sells plugs for veggie and herb gardens. They are teeny-tiny little plants, but she only charges 25-50 cents per plant, and they are always very healthy.

#4 of 6 Old 03-25-2007, 12:26 PM

Starting from seeds is very cheap, but yeah, it's more difficult. I think that sunflowers are excellent to start from seeds. An awesome veggie to plant for a new gardener is cucumbers! They work really well starting from seeds, are super easy to grow (read: hard to kill), and provide some gratification to a new gardener. Just be sure to not let them get too big (that's easy to do) because they taste best when they're small. I've moved out of zone 8, but I imagine that it's about time to start the summer gardens...
#5 of 6 Old 03-25-2007, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's really not that hard to start seeds directly in the garden.
#6 of 6 Old 03-25-2007, 10:02 PM

Often it is easier to start seeds directly in the garden. I never have good luck starting seeds inside. Sunflowers are very easy to start directly outside. I buy plants that need more time to mature (like tomatoes and peppers) and start almost everything else directly from seed in the garden.

How much space do you have? Unless you have a lot of room avoid pumpkins, gourds, etc. They will overrun everything very quickly.

Does the community garden have a relationship with your local agricultural extension? If not, contact them yourself for recommendations about start dates for vegetables in your area.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page