Tiny white bugs in potting soil - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 06-02-2007, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Just fyi - Most all of my gardening is in containers because we rent and I cannot bear to spend money on putting plants into ground that we don't own. I mean, I'd love to if we had money to burn, but in all honesty I want to be able to take my leafy, green babies with me when we move.)

Anyway, I have a peach seedling and some dahlias that I just re-potted last weekend. I used new potting soil mixed with manure/humus. And now there are a zillion teeny, tiny white bugs crawling around in the soil in those containers! I don't know what they are... They're very, VERY small, crawl very fast but don't seem soft bodied. To kill them I have to squish them on my fingernail, not just between my fingers. I sprayed a repellent mix I have that is garlic and chili based and it didn't seem to phase them one bit.

Would anyone have a clue what these might be? My first thought was aphids, but I'm not sure. They're aren't on any of the leaves, only in the soil. I did a few Google searches, but didn't really find anything that seemed right. I think my next step is the soapy water, but if anyone has any other ideas I would very, very much appreciate hearing them!

I'm a little freaked out because the peach seedling is from a tree from the yard of the house DP and I first lived in and where we were living when DS was born... so I'm kind of attached to it. That and I don't want whatever these boogers are spreading to my two new schmancy roses that I got with a gift certificate from DP's mom!

Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page