Holes in My Lawn--What is Causing Them? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-11-2007, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was walking through my backyard with the kids today and noticed a whole bunch (no pun intended) of quarter-sized holes in the yard. Some holes were in bare, brown spots of the yard, some were in the grass. I didn't notice any mounds of dirt near them, but I wasn't specifically looking for those either.

I know that we have a garter snake in our yard. We have had mice in our shed. And I have seen at least three different types of ants in the backyard. Any advice would be much appreciated because I am really trying to clean up our yard and make it lush and beautiful again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2007, 11:33 PM

I would guess a small rodent like a mouse, vole or shrew?

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
Old 06-12-2007, 12:12 AM

I think you have moles! My parents had the same problem and I never believed them until one time we were outside and one of the moles came out of one of the holes. They can be really difficult to get rid of.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Aw, figures. Is it necessary to get rid of them? Will they tear apart my new garden or cause further problems for my lawn? Are skunks going to come tear up my freshly laid grass in order to get to the little rodents? Any ideas about what I could possibly do to convince them to move elsewhere?
Old 06-12-2007, 12:23 AM

Do you have a female dog? Them peeing on the lawn seems to burn it. More acidic than male dog pee.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

Old 06-12-2007, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Our only dog is a not-overly-intelligent male yellow lab who is so passive that even cats aren't afraid of him! Maybe I can find a female dog to borrow... I'll work on that!
Old 06-12-2007, 02:35 AM

I've had that for years, they are more the size of a penny and not hilled up like pictures of mole holes online. I found a new one the other day. I really don't know what it is. (and I don't want it to be rodents, lizards ok, snakes kinda not ok, rodents hell no!)
grass doesn't really grow in the spot with the holes, it's in the shade, OMG that means it's cool and snakes don't do cool, it could be a rodent. EW:

:

I know it's an irrational fear, but it's mine!
Old 06-12-2007, 10:07 AM

You may have grubs. Critters come and dig at night to feast on them.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:15 AM

I agree with you may have grubs. Get rid of them you get rid of the critters that eat them by tearing up your yard.

I ended up using a grub killer. I try using marrigolds and some other plant to try to keep them out it didn't work. You can use castor bean plant but that is toxic to people and kids. At that time I was worried about my kids getting into it.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:39 AM

We have a similar problem. Most often it is the blasted squirrels digging for hidden peanuts from that x*(%@#$ house on the corner. We also have skunks that skulk around looking for grubs.

We didn't do anything though, since we have no grass...but as long as it is not totally devastating your lawn, you may just want to do nothing...

User Tag List