herbs and veggies that will comback every year - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-12-2007, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hey anyone know of veggies or herbs that come back year after year..and has anyone had sucess with this?
dh swears when he was young his neighbor down the block had cucumbers that grew every year on its own.. he said the vine was huge and thick...i've never heard of this and kinda chocked it up to little kid memories (esp cuz we live in Wisconsin)
#2 of 14 Old 07-12-2007, 02:39 PM

Well, that doesn't sound right at all. Unless some of the cuke seeds made it and sprouted?? But what are the odds.

However, some herbs self-seed (dill) and some generally survive the winters in zone 5 at least: chives, oregano, sage.

Also, asparagus beds last 15 years or so.

DD1 = 8 yrs *** DD2 = 6 yrs
#3 of 14 Old 07-12-2007, 04:07 PM

I've never heard of a cuke that would come back here (I'm in WI, too), but I do have some perennial veggies here:
- rhubarb
- asparagus
- sorrel
- welsh onions
...and tons of herbs, like mint, thyme, garlic chives, in addition to the ones Literate mentioned.

I also would like to add a couple more to my garden:
- orach
- jerusalem artichokes (which we love, but I'm worried that they may become invasive)
- good king henry
#4 of 14 Old 07-12-2007, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

he said it was the same vine every year...like grapes... i think time has gotten the best of his childhood memories..

OOooo awesome dill, oregano,artichokes yea! im very tempted too run out and get seeds now
#5 of 14 Old 07-12-2007, 05:30 PM

For herbs, mint definitely. Rosemary, oregano, marjoram, thyme, lemongrass, verbena, ginger, sage, lavender, and I even found a perennial basil last week (we'll see how it does). Some alliums (onions/garlic).

There are a few veggies... the ones already mentioned, and endive comes to mind. Tree fruits like avocados, of course. Strawberries, of course... all berries as a matter of fact (not veggies, obviously). Artichoke, raddichio, sweet potato/yam. There's a book on perennial veggies, as a matter of fact.

Here's a fairly comprehensive list.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#6 of 14 Old 07-12-2007, 05:59 PM

Rosemary is generally so hardy that it nicely survives winters and if you give it enough space it will get huge. Mint is also great for wintering over- it is so hardy that it is almost like a weed. I don't plant it in the ground because I can't control it, so it is definitely in a container on my sidewalk!

I have had dill reseed for 3 years and then one year it just didn't come back.

"Hey, I've got nothin' to do today but smile." - S & G
#7 of 14 Old 07-12-2007, 09:53 PM

Well, here's what we've had come back, despite us forgetting or abusing it throughout the winter...

Lemon thyme
Chives
Roses
Lilies (holy cow did these come back with a vengence; pretty though)
Raspberries
Strawberries
Grape vine
Onion (one year we put a few rotten onions out in the garden just before the first snow and forgot about it, thinking they'd compost over the winter... grew 4 completely random medium-sized onions that next year that I thought were garlic because of the smell and the flower until we dug them up)
Blueberry bushes
Parsley
Tomatoes

The tomatoes were quite a surprise to me - dh planted a few tomato plants up front last year without my authorization, so deer came and munched a bit, other tomatoes just fell, etc. So this year we ended up with a bunch of random tomato seedlings, and they're actually doing pretty good. There were like 3 dozen seedlings in a little spot of soil no bigger than my fist, it was trippy. No idea what kind of tomato it is or will be though because I'm sure it was a hybrid of some sort (think we bought it at Home Depot or Lowe's). So it'll be a fun surprise.

ETA: I forgot about rhubarb! We have a giant plant back near the "compost" pile that my IL's occasionally snagged a few stalks from. I'm not a huge rhubarb fan, but I'm not going to fight that thing so we're just letting it coexist with us.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#8 of 14 Old 07-12-2007, 10:22 PM

My spinach ALWAYS reseeds!!
#9 of 14 Old 07-13-2007, 12:41 AM

This is only my 2nd summer gardening... BUT I started last summer with incredibly fertile lasagna beds. Anyway, I have had SOOoooo many "volunteers" including cucumbers & tomatoes. Not the same vine, though; not even in the same places, which is weird.

I suspect many of these volunteers are from the compost, though, bc I found a tomato in my tiny front-yard perennial bed, right around the other side of the house from the rest of the garden.

My biggest self-seeder has been cilantro. Don't ever let that thing go to seed if you ever hope for a garden that doesn't reek of cilantro! They are pretty, though, kind of frilly like carrots & queen anne's lace and the flowers are nice (so yeah, that probably means I will have a bazillion more next year).

And the strong smell must do something to throw off predatory insects, slugs and other things.

Ditto pp's' lists of perennial herbs... very rewarding. And if you like asparagus (we don't!) they are apparently a lovely way to welcome yourself back into the garden year after year...

You can also put other things in around your garden that will come back year after year - this year, I've planted a bunch of yarrow, tansy, bee balm (bergamot) and plants that not only add colour to the veggie garden but will also hopefully bring in good insects year after year. (they are also all edible/drinkable (?) - except tansy)
#10 of 14 Old 07-13-2007, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen'nZoe View Post
I've never heard of a cuke that would come back here (I'm in WI, too), but I do have some perennial veggies here:
- rhubarb
- asparagus
- sorrel
- welsh onions
...and tons of herbs, like mint, thyme, garlic chives, in addition to the ones Literate mentioned.

I also would like to add a couple more to my garden:
- orach
- jerusalem artichokes (which we love, but I'm worried that they may become invasive)
- good king henry
A little OT but how do you cook jerusalem artichokes? (these are AKA sunchokes, right?)

I have some lemon balm and valerian that I've had for several years now that keep coming back
#11 of 14 Old 07-13-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
A little OT but how do you cook jerusalem artichokes? (these are AKA sunchokes, right?)
Yes, sunchokes, exactly. I almost never cook them. We just peel them, slice them and eat them raw. Delicious! They remind me of a water chestnut, crisp and sweet, but with a little bit of a nutty flavor. I've also lightly stir-fried them, and they taste great that way, too. I know some people roast them, but I've never tried this.
#12 of 14 Old 07-14-2007, 09:17 PM

Lovage also comes back.
#13 of 14 Old 08-04-2007, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapayaVagina View Post
so to be with the tread and answer this question- jerusalem artichokes that I grew were 8 feet tall and unfortunately the first time I grew them I put them in the middle of my garden space- I harvested a full wheelbarrow full of root tubers and they still came up the next year-- my neighbors asked about them and ate them and then planted some as a wind break in several areas around their property.--

to cook them you can boil- they become very soft or roast them, I like roasting them in with a roast and to me that is when they do tastes a hint like artichokes- part of it I think is the sweet aftertaste

a perenial that grows here if covered/cadged in the winter is a chilltipin bush- it has very small tiny peppers that are hot-
#14 of 14 Old 08-04-2007, 06:10 PM

In additon to all the things listed here, I get loads of volunteer plants. They are not really perennials in our area, but they come back from seeds. This year I got a huge amount of sunflowers and tomatoes that way

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page