Get to know you awesome gardeners! (I don't grow the Weeds!) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-06-2007, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Soooo, I am a closet gardener (not really) living in a city. We hang out all the time talking, but I don't really know you. Let's chat!

I'm Heather, I live in a 40' x 120' city lot encroached by lots of shade and a devilish black walnut tree. My grandpa was a farmer, and I grew up with major gardens. I have had huge gardens in recent years past, but have had truoble regulating my city plot. But (: don't yell at me!) I killed the dogwood in my front lawn and hope to raise some super beds in the next year in my front yard garden.

Hi, my name is Heather, and I'm a Can-a-holic. I love to preserve food and give it away, but I have taken a new stance this year. Less is more, for me. I'm saving more food for me, and giving less as christmas gifts. I have made a serious effort to freeze this year. I'm doing well. Right now I have ratatouille, lentil soup, canned tomatoes, beans, zucchs, etc. chilin' on ice. I also bought a food dehydrator for a super-sweet low budget salvo price of $1.99.

I live in the Bread Basket of Pa (aka York County) and have ample access to cheap (and even sustainable/organic) produce. I prefer local conventional to organic shipped thousands of miles.

My range is mid-atlantic. I think (bad farmer) zone 5? I lurve SESE (southern exposure seed exchange) as my seed supplier.

Who are you?

Heather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 09-07-2007, 11:36 AM

Hi! Erika, living in Orlando. I grew up in Upstate NY- bountiful summer gardens and not much going on in the winter time. Moving to Florida was a shock with all the year-round gardening.

I live/work at a children's home, so I don't have much land to use. Most of my gardening is in the few feet all around my house and inbetween shrubs. Or in pots! I do herbs well, roses well and have done mini-tomatoes well! This fall I'm doing real tomatoes and bell peppers! Hopefully they'll grow well, as they are my favorite veggies but I hate to pay lots of money for them.

Someday I'd love to have a house of my own with lots of land to REALLY spread out! Until then, I live vicariously through you!

Wife to my Denali-climbing DH
Mom to DD born Jan. 08 and DS born Oct. 09, and "baby sister" due Oct 2013!
House mom to ten boys, ages 8-11 at a group home! Yes, I must be nuts!
#3 of 12 Old 09-07-2007, 03:50 PM

I read closet gardener and thought of : : .

We aren't really closet about our gardening, I think our little lot is 115' by 65 or 70', but it's been a few years since I looked at the survey. :

I'm going through a big hold off from planting every single thing this week, spread that harvest out! Which is fighting my do it all now nature!

We are considering getting rid of a 'trash' tree to make room for a few more fruit ones. (it's so full of 'water shoots' they are driving me insane!)
#4 of 12 Old 09-07-2007, 04:01 PM

What a great idea Heather Nice to "meet" you guys! I am not exaclty a closet gardener , everyone who I meet ends up knowing I love to garden!

I think York is in zone 6 actually, but I am often wrong about these things.

My name is Laura and I live in the Appalachian Mountains (Ridge and Valley Province section... I just learned that little tidbit!) on the tail end of the Poconos. We have two hill top acres, two kids, three bumpus hounds, two cats and one hamster (all rescued pets ). I am passionate about animal rescue, organic and heirloom gardening, my family, reading and learning. I work out side of the home part time at a really great volunteer organization.

Right now I have three veggie beds about 15 X 9 each, a strawberry patch, and a few flower beds with herbs and hot peppers sprinkled in. I put up most of what we grow... but to be honest it is really not that much. We eat most of it before it can get to that point. I really need a bigger garden to be more self sustainable, and next year will be putting in two more beds. I long for an orchard. Um... what else? I am currently training to become a Master Gardener and learning a TON of really cool stuff, I like camp fires and margaritas... not so much long walks on the beach...

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#5 of 12 Old 09-08-2007, 05:24 AM

I don't know that I'm a closet gardener, either. Most folks know I garden after talking with me for a few minutes lately.

I'm in Idaho. Zone 5. Ish.

I am a seed catalog whore. I think I currently have 10 catalogs I drool over and just continually flip through, and I'm still ordering/receiving more. It's sad.

I've been entering the crazy world of canning. Last year I canned relish and a few pints of applesauce, year before just relish. This year, lots more. Today we just did 14 pints and 4 half-pints of green beans. Just today. I keep showing off photos in the blog. :

I don't know the current square footage of everything, let me go add it up... 779sf. Granted, only 194sf is "raised bed" type stuff with no walkways and 585 is the main garden where I had to put walkways (which I severely underestimated so I have green bean vines molesting me daily).

Next year we're hoping to add another 3'x12' bed for the blueberry bushes so they can be solitary, two little 2'x6' beds for the kids to each have their own garden, and extending an L-shape of 10'x23' off the current giant garden space. Oh, and I'm hoping to get more raspberry vines, a grape "arbor" over the deck (fruit *and* shade for the deck!), and 3-4 apples trees and maybe a peach tree if I'm wiley enough with dh. I have very grand plans for our .28 acres of land (eta: which includes the house and driveway!).

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#6 of 12 Old 09-08-2007, 11:56 PM

Heather,
I couldn't resist it. :

Sorry!
#7 of 12 Old 09-09-2007, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Well, there has been a lot of talk about the pots & pans lately.
#8 of 12 Old 09-09-2007, 01:21 AM

I *just* started posting on this forum ... yesterday! DH & I were very, very lucky to be able to move back to my home recently. My family has lived on this land since the 1700's. The part we're on (6 acres ... about 4.5 growable) was farmed/used as a cow & horse pasture when I was growing up. My parents had a good sized farm, which I helped with, but I've not really done any gardening as an adult. We're really, really excited about making this place our own: a small orchard, a big veg. garden, a small herb/cutting garden, plus some chickens and goats, and maybe, maybe, a milk cow!

I will be posting here LOTS, picking the experienced green-thumb brains.

OH, I almost forgot!! I work f/t, dh works f/t and is in school f/t, and we have a 3 y/o and a 5 m/o. :

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#9 of 12 Old 09-09-2007, 11:41 AM

OMG Heather that thread made me laugh so hard! The poster (oh I forget her UN) holding the pot had me rolling

Welcome aboard Elizabeth

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#10 of 12 Old 09-09-2007, 01:23 PM

Hello out there! I am trying to break my nasty lurking habit. I love to grow things though I go through phases where life gets in the way and the weeds in my garden are taller than me. This year I've been better. I have tomatoes (Romas and grape), peppers (cayenne and bell), cukes, green beans and sunflowers. Hubby and I turned an old 25'x25' fenced dog run into our garden area when we moved here 5 yrs ago, and we've been working on it ever since. I also have a small kitchen garden along a walkway with grape tomatoes, cayenne peppers, rosemary and lots of catnip (for my fuzzy friends). I live along the MD/PA border south of Gettysburg, so I am experimenting with the rosemary. I think I'm in zone 6ish.

I love to can. Pressure canner and water bath. I did blueberry, strawberry and sour cherry jam this year. We pick the blues and strawberries at a local farm. The cherry tree is ours and I need to learn how to better take care of it because worms often get the better of me. I'm lucky if I get one batch of much cherished jam. I've put up two small batches of tomato sauce and may do one more. I used to can things for my family as well, but not so much now.

It's nice "meeting" all of you.
#11 of 12 Old 09-09-2007, 06:36 PM

Hello!

I live way north of most of you. I'm in north central BC. I'm in zone 2a. I grew up in the Kootenays of BC which is zone 5 or 6, depending on ow high up the hill you are. I was quite surprised at how much I could grow when I moved up north. The growing season is a lot shorter (it's almost over now, we've already had frost a few times) but the days are so long that plants grow very quickly.

My mother is a very accomplished gardener. When I was growing up, most of our fruits and vegitables came from our garden. Tourists used to stop and take pictures of my mothers garden. Her parents and grandparents were also big gardeners. The gardend organicly mostly because they couldn't afford the cemicals but still... My great gradnfather was involved with urban farming on empty lots in Winnipeg during the depression. What goes around comes around!

I love to garden, but i still have a lot to live up to with my family! We just moved into our house last November. This summer has been mostly taken up with various renovations on the house so my garden is pretty pathetic this year. Just a little plot with some salad greens and a few beans and tomatoes.

I'm going to be starting to dig up lawn and prepare the soil for next years garden before we freeze up here this fall. I'm going to have about 560 sq ft in the back although I will probably expand that as time goes on. We live on a town lot in a town where the lots are fairly large. I'm not sure what the total square footage is though. We will be putting in some fruit trees and berry bushes this fall. My long term plan is to eliminate the grass in the front yard and make an edible landscape with herbs, fruit trees and berry bushes. I also want most of the back yard to be garden as well with just a small bit of grass for the kids to run around on. But as there was nothing in our yard but grass and one loanly lailac bush when we moved in, i've got my work cut out for me!

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#12 of 12 Old 09-11-2007, 05:37 PM

I'm Clea. I pop into MDC now and then, but always stop by here to say hey. I have a smallish garden (by my accounts, maybe 200 sq ft?), write about gardening, and am always learning more. I live in Denver (Aurora, really), zone 5, but grew up near Seattle, so I had quite the learning curve when we moved here ... um, 7 years ago.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page