Groundhog problem - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-12-2002, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a big fat groundhog living in our backyard. She has holes in our yard and our neighbor's yard as well. She sits out in the yard all summer, chewing on the greenery.

I really want to plant a garden this summer, but I figure there's not much point since she will eat everything I plant (and I'd prefer not to put up a fence, and I don't know for sure that a fence would keep her out.)

What can I do? If I trap her in a humane trap, am I legally allowed to release her somewhere else, and if so, how do I decide where? If I pay an animal service to come capture her, won't they kill her?
#2 of 3 Old 03-13-2002, 11:20 PM

Call a regional DNR office to ask about where you can release a live trapped groundhog.

My husband has done this before with other critters and only said that he "takes them for a drive". In other words, he drops them off somewhere in a state park, far from home turf.
#3 of 3 Old 03-18-2002, 09:43 PM

Do you have or know someone with a dog? It worked ofr us with rabbits and groundhogs to put the dog poop in the hole! Sounds mean, but I figure then they can go to where ever they want and it will keep skunks from moving into the holes when the other critters move out.

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page