Mothering Forum banner

Any Phoenix area mamas? I have a couple tree questions

833 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  amcal 
#1 ·
We need to plant a tree in our front yard (north facing) and two in our backyard (south facing). I went to Moon Valley and the guy wasn't very helpful but, after walking around, we decided on a Brazilian Pepper for the front yard and a Sissoo and Chinese Tallow for the back yard.

I know nothing about these trees other than how the look. My yard is on a drip system and the front yard is rock with some low lying plants.

Where the trees in the backyard will be is also on a drip system and right by the grass (sprinklers) so they will get plenty of water.

Once concern I have about the Chinese Tallow is that when I google it, it shows it's an invasive plant in other parts of the country. There are no warnings that I've found for the Valley. The reason we choose it was because it is one of the only trees that grows in this area that has leaves that change color to a brilliant red in the fall.

We want trees that are going to be fast growing, provide shade and are hearty in both extreme summer heat but can also survive a winter freeze.

If anyone has any thoughts, I'd be ever so grateful!

TIA

See less See more
#2 ·
You probably made good choices. "Invasive" in many parts of the country translates to "will actually stay alive" in the Valley in many cases.

I'm partial to trees that are actually good for something--we have several citrus trees in our backyard, and I like that. Shade AND fruit. However, we have two olive trees in the front and a bunch of palm trees and I loathe those--the olives are messy, DH is allergic, and the palms are messy, not much good for shade, attract pests, not date palms so useless, and expensive to maintain. I have one other good shade tree in my backyard, unfortunately I have no idea what it is (we rent).

One thing I do know, you'll probably want to water more intensively while the trees are getting established the first year.

#3 ·
The pepper is a good choice. It does well here and once established is very hardy.

I'm not sure about the Tallow though. I'm sure I've seen it but it's not ringing a bell for me. I just looked it up and it seems like it's mainly invasive in wet climates. I also read that it's referred to as a melaleuca tree. I wonder if it has any tea tree oil qualities? That'd be neat.

#4 ·
Thank you so much for your thoughts
I just couldn't find enough information about the Chinese Tallow so I switched to a Chinese Pistache - Same growth rate, same fall foliage but no invasive warnings. Other than that, we should have three new trees next week

#6 ·
Thank you! DH's eyes just glaze over when I try to talk to him about it and I've been a little freaked out trying to choose the trees myself. He doesn't seem to understand that this tree will be here at least as long as we will so I really want to like it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.