Monsanto Linked Seed Co.'s to Avoid - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 116 Old 06-26-2008, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, plant them. They buy from a Monsanto co. and hopefully they will start to go the route of a couple other companies and find seed from other sources. I think it is mainly thier lettuce seed.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#62 of 116 Old 06-26-2008, 10:23 PM

oh WHEW. thanks for the speedy reply! i actually bought seeds for things that most people try to get *rid* of like chickweed, stinging nettles, and field peas

i was thinking of seeding the empty field next door, which is owned by the former owner of my house. (he offered me a discount on the property, but i would have bought *more house* if i had $25K extra, kwim?)
but then, the neighbor mows the field with his riding mower, so i don't think that'd be a go

i haven't yet decided where (or even when) to plant these things; i just wanted to have the seeds to make me happy : but i can't wait to actually have them as plants! can i still plant them now? or do i have to wait till next year? i think i am in zone 7; western NC.

thanks!
pamela

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#63 of 116 Old 06-27-2008, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercyn View Post
oh WHEW. thanks for the speedy reply! i actually bought seeds for things that most people try to get *rid* of like chickweed, stinging nettles, and field peas

i was thinking of seeding the empty field next door, which is owned by the former owner of my house. (he offered me a discount on the property, but i would have bought *more house* if i had $25K extra, kwim?)
but then, the neighbor mows the field with his riding mower, so i don't think that'd be a go

i haven't yet decided where (or even when) to plant these things; i just wanted to have the seeds to make me happy : but i can't wait to actually have them as plants! can i still plant them now? or do i have to wait till next year? i think i am in zone 7; western NC.

thanks!
pamela
I'm pretty sure you will be alright planting these right now. Those probably grow pretty fast.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

#64 of 116 Old 06-27-2008, 07:31 PM

thanks! after this weekend i will try and see what happens. i have 9 baby thuja trees to plant, too. and some passionflower.

thank you again,
pamela

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#65 of 116 Old 07-18-2008, 11:26 PM

Do any of you know if Ontario Seed Company is linked with Monsanto?

Carlyn - loving and caring for my family.
Married 13 years, mama to 12 (boy), 8, 6, 4, 1 (girls)
#66 of 116 Old 07-18-2008, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like a big co. kind of like Ace Hardware, but I don't see anywhere they are linked, plus they are in Canada, but I don't know if that means anything. They don't say where thier seeds come from, you could e-mail and ask them.

#67 of 116 Old 11-26-2008, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I am in Canada. What about Vesey's?

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#68 of 116 Old 11-26-2008, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydiah View Post
I am in Canada. What about Vesey's?
Here is what I did find on Vesey's:

http://www.mail-archive.com/communit.../msg07641.html

Quote:
I was quite naive in ordering some bulbs and seed from Vesey's and
thought I will do local for all the reasons people do local for and found out
they just import from Netherlands and package. So who knows, maybe Monsanto does control a huge part of the seed industry.
This is from thier own site:

Quote:
Fueled with what appeared to be a ready market, Veseys next step was to form a relationship with a grower. Through their association in the mail order gardening community, it wasn't long before Veseys were discussing this project with Holland's most prestigious grower of bulbs. As discussions unfolded, the company established three primary criteria: Firstly, Veseys only wanted to carry the highest quality bulbs available in Canada - so as to meet the expectations of their dedicated clientele; secondly, the firm wanted to offer a selection of fall planting bulbs and perennials that would be unequaled in any other Canadian catalogue; thirdly, they hoped to achieve their first two goals while at the same time being able to guarantee the gardeners of Canada that the Veseys Fall Bulb & Perennial catalogue would have the lowest prices of any Canadian catalogue competitor!
Sounds like they just buy some bulbs from Holland. The rest are and thier seeds are local it sounds like. http://www.veseys.com/us/en/about/veseys/history

http://www.whitehillfarm.com/SafeSeedList.html

Quote:
These companies have not signed on to the Safe Seed Pledge. Many of these catalogs are "big" and commercial, but they are still good sources for open pollinated and heirloom seeds if you know what you're looking for. Other catalogs are run by single families or school seed saving programs... do some exploring, and you'll find a LOT of resources.

Vesey's Seeds
Even Pinetree is in this list of not sgning the safe seed pledge.

I didn't see any obvious link between them and Monsanto.

#69 of 116 Old 11-28-2008, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thank you so much. I look forward to planting a garden this spring with another mama in the neighborhood. Its my first garden but she has some experience. I cant wait to give my baby fresh garden veggies.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#70 of 116 Old 02-05-2009, 10:06 PM

I'm adding this on to this thread, hoping someone is subbed to it and can help with an answer...

I've been actively discussing gardening with a local group of moms, and the subject of Burpee and wether they were pro-GMO or tied to Monsanto or not came up-- I read here under the "not good" list that they were - and then someone from the group emailed Burpee and found that in fact they state:

W. Atlee Burpee & Co.hereby certifies that all flower and vegetable seed varieties produced and marketed by our company are free from any form of artificial genetic alteration. We do not endorse or market to the home gardener any GMO or genetically enhanced or altered seed varieties. Burpee also does not use inorganic seed treatments on any seed that we offer to our customers.
If you have further questions on this issue, please contact:
Steve Wright
Director, Operations & Purchasing
W. Atlee Burpee & Co.

So? Is this a new policy or something I am missing?
TIA....

Kelly, mama to DD energy.gif : (3-30-06) and DS bouncy.gif 7/28/09) ....and gummi, due 3-30-13! (large sch....praying.gif)

#71 of 116 Old 02-05-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellykins View Post
I'm adding this on to this thread, hoping someone is subbed to it and can help with an answer...

...So? Is this a new policy or something I am missing?
TIA....
Burpee sells seeds from Seminis, which is owned by Monsanto (since January of 2007, I believe). So while I believe him that they don't sell GMOs, when you buy from them, you are buying from Monsanto.

As far as I know, none of the seed companies on the list actually sell GMOs to gardeners in their catalogs. The exception, of course, is that some of them almost certainly sell seed that is cross contaminated with GMOs. If you follow the heirloom catalogs at all, you'll notice that every year corn varieties are dropped because they test positive for GMO contamination. Most of the commercial seed companies aren't testing (or at least aren't letting customers know that they are testing), so you never know.
#72 of 116 Old 02-07-2009, 03:57 PM

I would not recommend buying anything from a company that sells Monsanto developed seed or anything else. Even if the seed is what you want, you are still supporting, (sending part of your money to), Monsanto.
#73 of 116 Old 02-09-2009, 01:25 AM

THANK YOU!! just saw this and bought almost all burpee ones at target yesterday, off to return them!

Living DAIRY AND GLUTEN FREE for my SPD and Aspergers Little Man.
#74 of 116 Old 02-09-2009, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen'nZoe View Post
Burpee sells seeds from Seminis, which is owned by Monsanto (since January of 2007, I believe). So while I believe him that they don't sell GMOs, when you buy from them, you are buying from Monsanto.

As far as I know, none of the seed companies on the list actually sell GMOs to gardeners in their catalogs. The exception, of course, is that some of them almost certainly sell seed that is cross contaminated with GMOs. If you follow the heirloom catalogs at all, you'll notice that every year corn varieties are dropped because they test positive for GMO contamination. Most of the commercial seed companies aren't testing (or at least aren't letting customers know that they are testing), so you never know.
SO in reading this to my dh the first thing he said was " maybe that is what is killing the bees?" Pollenating the GMO stuff and hiving with it and all that....

#75 of 116 Old 02-09-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamastePlatypus View Post
SO in reading this to my dh the first thing he said was " maybe that is what is killing the bees?" Pollenating the GMO stuff and hiving with it and all that....
That is one of the theories out there. But from what I understand, GMOs are not grown in Europe, and they are losing bees, too...
#76 of 116 Old 02-12-2009, 08:37 PM

I got this email from a reader of my blog (I have these lists posted on my blog):
Paraphrased for copyright:
Quote:
....You listed Gardens Alive.....

.....In their January catalog on page 2, they state, "Organic seeds from Gardens Alive! are GMO free (not genetically modified) and most are open pollinated (nonhybrids).....
Anyone know for sure?

Nevermind, I found it!

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#77 of 116 Old 02-12-2009, 09:06 PM

And in finding out the facts, I found more from http://us.seminis.com/products/hg_dealer.asp

Rocky Mountain Seed Co
Germania Seed Co
Garden Trends
E & R Seed Co
Dege Garden Center

Also look at
http://us.seminis.com/products/dealer.asp?territory=119 (Western US)
http://us.seminis.com/products/dealer.asp?territory=118 (Eastern US)
http://us.seminis.com/products/dealer.asp?territory=117 (Canada)
These are distributors of Monsanto/Seminis seeds

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#78 of 116 Old 02-12-2009, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Dragon View Post
And in finding out the facts, I found more from http://us.seminis.com/products/hg_dealer.asp

Rocky Mountain Seed Co
Germania Seed Co
Garden Trends
E & R Seed Co
Dege Garden Center

Also look at
http://us.seminis.com/products/dealer.asp?territory=119 (Western US)
http://us.seminis.com/products/dealer.asp?territory=118 (Eastern US)
http://us.seminis.com/products/dealer.asp?territory=117 (Canada)
These are distributors of Monsanto/Seminis seeds
Thanks!

#79 of 116 Old 02-15-2009, 12:17 AM

Livingston? Found these today at the feedstore, anybody know anything about them?

#80 of 116 Old 02-16-2009, 12:50 AM

Fedco is phasing out all Monsanto seeds, and what is Monsanto is clearly labeled.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#81 of 116 Old 02-16-2009, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamastePlatypus View Post
Livingston? Found these today at the feedstore, anybody know anything about them?
They look like a good company. Started in 1850 by Alexander Livingston. I don't see any links to Monsanto.

#82 of 116 Old 03-28-2009, 10:32 AM

argh! bought seeds today that said no GMO....but cant find them on the list.

Hart's Plant Seeds?????
#83 of 116 Old 03-28-2009, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
argh! bought seeds today that said no GMO....but cant find them on the list.

Hart's Plant Seeds?????
I'm not sure. There are too many Hart's Seeds. Wasn't sure what co. you got your seeds from. Is there a website on the packet or another co. in small print they are owned by?

#84 of 116 Old 03-28-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerCathy View Post
I'm not sure. There are too many Hart's Seeds. Wasn't sure what co. you got your seeds from. Is there a website on the packet or another co. in small print they are owned by?
the chas c hart seed co.

thats all
#85 of 116 Old 03-28-2009, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
the chas c hart seed co.

thats all
That helps, that was one that came up besides 3 or 4 others. Let you know what I find out.

#86 of 116 Old 03-30-2009, 08:32 PM

Anyone know if ferry-morse organic seeds from Walmart are safe from Monsanto ties?
#87 of 116 Old 03-30-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
That helps, that was one that came up besides 3 or 4 others. Let you know what I find out.
thanks. im bummed that i didnt wait until i got to wfs. i really want these seeds.
you would think organic meant no ties...but i guess thats not the way it works.
#88 of 116 Old 03-31-2009, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
the chas c hart seed co.

thats all
Sorry it took me so long to get back with what I could find. My comp. crashed and couldn't figure out what all I was doing when it crashed. I don't see any link to Monsanto and they are owned and operated by 5th and 6th generations of the family. It was started in 1894.

#89 of 116 Old 03-31-2009, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantingagirl2b#4 View Post
Anyone know if ferry-morse organic seeds from Walmart are safe from Monsanto ties?
Here's all the info on ferry-morse.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...archid=9809004

#90 of 116 Old 03-31-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Sorry it took me so long to get back with what I could find. My comp. crashed and couldn't figure out what all I was doing when it crashed. I don't see any link to Monsanto and they are owned and operated by 5th and 6th generations of the family. It was started in 1894.
thanks. i think ill take a chance. so weird that they havent taken the safe seed pledge though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page