Monsanto Linked Seed Co.'s to Avoid - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 116 Old 03-31-2009, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerCathy View Post
Sorry it took me so long to get back with what I could find. My comp. crashed and couldn't figure out what all I was doing when it crashed. I don't see any link to Monsanto and they are owned and operated by 5th and 6th generations of the family. It was started in 1894.
thanks. i think ill take a chance. so weird that they havent taken the safe seed pledge though.
#92 of 116 Old 03-31-2009, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
thanks. i think ill take a chance. so weird that they havent taken the safe seed pledge though.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#93 of 116 Old 03-31-2009, 01:22 PM

Link says no matches found. Please try some different terms it says underneath V Bulletin. Could you direct me again?

I just contacted the company and I spoke with Jason and he says in the business there is some comflicting info. with other parts of their business and that is why they have not signed the pledge but they do not deal with no GMO's. Maybe this tidbit will help another occassional Wal-Mart consumer.

Quote:
#94 of 116 Old 03-31-2009, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantingagirl2b#4 View Post
Link says no matches found. Please try some different terms it says underneath V Bulletin. Could you direct me again?

I just contacted the company and I spoke with Jason and he says in the business there is some comflicting info. with other parts of their business and that is why they have not signed the pledge but they do not deal with no GMO's. Maybe this tidbit will help another occassional Wal-Mart consumer.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...e#post13336728 Post #90

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...e#post11039680 Post #53

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...e#post10380411 Post #27

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

#95 of 116 Old 03-31-2009, 08:48 PM

so basically they are a partner in another company that does engage in GM.

the more i learn about our food supply, the more disgusted i become.
#96 of 116 Old 04-15-2009, 04:08 PM

Veseys and Henry Fields seeds I'm wondering about...

Homebirthing, homeschooling AP, gardening maniac running a working farm. No circ, no vax, no cable TV. EC'd and CD'd, tandem BF'd.  Cheese and soap making goat and child herder.
#97 of 116 Old 04-16-2009, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
so basically they are a partner in another company that does engage in GM.

the more i learn about our food supply, the more disgusted i become.

I should have known since it was a purchase from Wal-mart (not a loyal fan of theirs usually)!
#98 of 116 Old 06-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Banned

Maybe this isn't new info (sorry, didn't read through the entire thread) I was googling because I have some Burpee seeds (ooops! didn't know they were on the list) and it looks like they are one of those maybe type issues:

http://www.greendaily.com/2009/03/25...-laid-to-rest/

Bottom line was that Burpee only gets *some* of it's seeds supplied to them by Seminis, and they are not owned by Monsanto. I found another link that said "surprisingly only a few seeds in their catalog are from Seminis" http://www.sacgardens.org/sustaingar...0summaries.pdf but it also states that they do not give out much info on where their seeds come from.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it since they're a widely available seed company.

ETA: nevermind me, there is a whole thread on this very issues:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1037851
#99 of 116 Old 06-05-2009, 10:51 PM

Nooo not Gardens Alive!!!
#100 of 116 Old 06-05-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen'nZoe View Post
That is one of the theories out there. But from what I understand, GMOs are not grown in Europe, and they are losing bees, too...
I will have to look into that b/c I thought they could grow in specific locations and that they have to register. I could have sworn I saw something about that on The World According to Monsanto, but I'll watch again and report back later.

Even if they arent officially grown in Europe, I'd bet a million bucks there are gmos being grown there one way or the other.

~~~~~~~~~~

I am also becoming more and more disgusted with the food chain. That's what I garden. I hope one day I am a good enough gardener with enough space to grow my own stuff. I'm serious-I went and bought banana plants. This fall I hope to learn to grow wheat.

I have also read there may be some potential dumbing down of organic standards.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FYI Monsanto is reproposing gm wheat. Ahhhhhhh!!!! I used to have the comfort of knowing that at least the wheat was non-gmo.

http://www.organicconsumers.org/bytes/ob176.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monsanto began as a chemical company, and iti has a long history of having labs cook up science results in their favor to produce desirable results. I just finished The Fluoride Deception which mentions Monsanto from time to time. Monsanto has a long history of the revolving door btwn industry and government.

Monsanto makes one of the world's best selling herbicides, Roundup, which is aguably an endocrine disruptor. That alone makes me want to boycott Monsanto with a passion. Of course, Monsanto claims its products are safe.

http://www.organicconsumers.org/mons...ancy060305.cfm
#101 of 116 Old 11-11-2009, 10:22 AM

Watched the movie Food, Inc. Yes, we can thank Clarence Thomas for this. Thanks a lot, Thomas!
#102 of 116 Old 01-03-2010, 12:52 AM

I don't know if it's been posted here or not, but the Future of Food movie is on hulu.com so you can watch it online for free. It explains some of the Monsanto stuff for those who don't know.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/67878/the-future-of-food
#103 of 116 Old 01-03-2010, 11:32 PM

Maybe I missed it, but I saw a couple people ask about Henry Fields, but I didn't find a reply...anyone know about them??

Thanks!
#104 of 116 Old 01-04-2010, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dds07 View Post
Maybe I missed it, but I saw a couple people ask about Henry Fields, but I didn't find a reply...anyone know about them??

Thanks!
Looks like they might be buying from Seminis which is owned by Monsanto. Found this in the comment section in the link below.

http://myfolia.com/groups/250-life-w...ics/2867/posts

Quote:
Gurney’s, Spring Hill Nurseries, Henry Fields, The Garden Store and The Michigan Bulb Company are owned by an umbrella company – Scarlet Tanager, LLC. The person who owns that umbrella company also owns a few other catalog companies: Spring Hill Nurseries, Breck’s Bulbs, Audubon Workshop, Flower of the Month Club, and Gardens Alive.
Here is a review I found as well when I was doing a search on the company. Sounds like they have a lot of customer service problems.
http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/185/

HTH, Cathy

#105 of 116 Old 01-29-2010, 11:34 PM

anyone know about Aimer's organics?

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#106 of 116 Old 01-30-2010, 02:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillarilla View Post
anyone know about Aimer's organics?
Here is the scoop from Dave's garden.

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/180/

Other than that, they don't have a website and are in Canada.

#107 of 116 Old 02-05-2010, 05:19 AM

Actually, in your list of companies that "Do" - you may have some that don't really use Monsanto seeds. They DO sell seeds offered by Seminis, which is Monsanto's owned seed house. But these companies may limit their purchases to non-Monsanto seeds. Seminis bought up a lot of seed suppliers over the last decade or so and when they bought those companies, they also became an owner of those companies' seed patents. So if you want to grow Big Boy Tomatoes, you have to buy them from Seminis even if Big Boy is not a Monsanto seed.

I think it is irresponsible to post such an all inclusive list without noting that companies buying from Seminis may not actually be selling any GMO (Monsanto) seeds. If you are in love with a company and you are not buying a GMO seed from them, then it's probably OK. I am one of the most vocal of the anti-Monsanto group, but I want us to do the right thing in the right way. I got this list off Seminis' web site, but I wonder where you got the 'good' seed list?

Still, I agree with the boycott, it may seem like a small distinction, but we need to have our facts straight.

And don't feed the Monsanto beast any more than we have to!

david
#108 of 116 Old 02-09-2010, 08:18 PM

Glad to know fedco is phasing out any seeds originated from monsanto since they are my fams favorite seed comp.
They also give discounts for coop orders over a certain amount.
I agree that seeds that are labeled organic and non-gmo are probably just fine, but I for one don't want a penny of my money going to such an irresponsible corporation.

Thanks for this thread! It can be so time consuming to research all these things. I get most of my monsanto info from the organic consumer's association which is pretty rabid in it's hatred of the corp. not that they shouldn't be or anything...

I was pretty surprised by some of the companies listed on the first page.
#109 of 116 Old 03-24-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:

I read in the latest Countryside mag an article about studies that have been done on livestock as well as raccoons that raid corn feilds. They either will flat out not eat the GMO corn or will always choose conventional corn over GMO corn if they have a choice. Pretty interesting. It's like they can taste how different and how bad it is.
I have chickens and before I got organic feed, they would not eat the corn (even though corn is normally one of chickens' favorite food). I suspected the same! They are on organic feed now.

Oh, and by the way everyone, they have approved GMO BEETS. That means that ALL non-organic sugar is now suspect. (For a while, I thought candy that was at least corn-syrup free was safe. No more...)
#110 of 116 Old 03-24-2010, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by *plantlady* View Post
I have chickens and before I got organic feed, they would not eat the corn (even though corn is normally one of chickens' favorite food). I suspected the same! They are on organic feed now.

Oh, and by the way everyone, they have approved GMO BEETS. That means that ALL non-organic sugar is now suspect. (For a while, I thought candy that was at least corn-syrup free was safe. No more...)
That's cool your chickens are picky. Yep, I think they approved the beets last year or the year before. It's awful.

#111 of 116 Old 03-30-2011, 06:48 PM

can you give a reference to a scientific study that shows that racoons avoid GM crops. I know there were rumors that cows avoided GM corn stubble but that was because the satlks weren't so damaged by insects and so were more intact after harvest.

The concern about sugar from gm crops - can you tell me one once of rationale why pure sugar from a GM crop where a single gene is changed versus two organic corn hybrids that vary by 2,000 genes why would the GM sugar be suspect?  Is this just a religious belief you have ? metaphysical thought not based in reality.  All the corn and sugar from corn that;s used in 1,000 of uses in this country would have been affected for the last 13 years. Food companies (this wouldn't admit it) like Bt corn because its cleaner and freer of aflatoxins (the most potent natural carcinogen) than non-GM corn whether conventional or organic 

#112 of 116 Old 09-27-2012, 06:56 PM

Excellent idea to make the sticky. Terrifying to see how many companies have sold us out. The idea for combining with the list of good companies would be very useful.

#113 of 116 Old 12-11-2013, 07:49 PM

I work at Monsanto none of this is true if it were I and my co-workers wouldn't work there.

#114 of 116 Old 02-09-2014, 09:53 PM

Territorial seed company is not associated with Monsanto, and we need to remove Territorial from the no-no list - see this blog post for more information and here is a quote you will find in the replies section from Tom Johns, president and owner: "As of the 2012 Catalog: Territorial Seed Company does NOT buy any Seminis brand seed, nor any seed products from any Monsanto owned company." Whew. I'm about to order the bulk of my seeds from them this year and that claim sent me for a shocker. So let us rejoice, Cascadians, that we may enjoy another year of delight from our local supplier of plenty with good vibes and all. Cheers!

#115 of 116 Old 02-18-2014, 07:27 PM

This was published today.  You are right, Territorial does NOT carry Seminis, but they do carry other major biotech big ag seeds that are just as bad as Monsanto (but not as well known here in the states because they are based out of Switzerland) that should be avoided as much as Monsanto. 

This pretty much has everything you need to know about what's safe, what's not and how even those who signed the safe seed pledge are not what they always seem!

http://themindfulhome.blogspot.com/2014/02/the-definitive-guide-to-safe-seeds.html

#116 of 116 Old 02-20-2014, 12:30 PM

Great article, there's a lot of legwork in there! I especially like that they have a giant regional list of safe/Monsanto-free suppliers at the end. I live in the Pacific NW so it's especially important I get seeds that are suited for here, rather than the south or midwest. Thanks so much for sharing, Gardenmama.

gardenmama76 likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page