Seed Companies Safe from Monsanto Ties - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 203 Old 01-26-2008, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
so that's why my pepper seeds that i took out of a pepper are not sprouting?
They may just be too cool. Pepper seeds need it pretty warm to germinate. My Seed-to-Seed book says 75 - 95 degrees. I planted some pepper seeds two years in a row and I never got a single one to come up and now I know why. I thought I had just gotten some bum seed, but I think it was just too cool for them in our greenhouse.

As far as I know, no GM seeds are on the market for the home gardener, they are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too expensive for that right now. (Hopefully they will never make it and will be banned from the market altogether.) And, Monsanto makes the farmers who buy the seed sign contracts. You aren't going to find terminator seeds in your store bought package. Yet, anyway. That's why I find it important to support the small seed companies that have no seed ties to Monsanto, or the other GM guys. I'm also partial to heirlooms to keep up the genetic diversity.
#32 of 203 Old 01-26-2008, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

The scary thing is though that they could slip in terminator seeds into inventory with no one being the wiser. They just scare me.:

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#33 of 203 Old 01-29-2008, 07:54 PM

I guess that's true. No reason to tell us or anything since they are safe after all. I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist or anything, but I'm starting to be with this GM stuff.
#34 of 203 Old 02-04-2008, 05:05 PM

WOW!!! I had no idea I needed to be so careful with the seeds I buy!!! So, then, is there a thread somewhere about where to buy live plants? I'd love to start everything from seed, but I'm not sure I'll be up for that this year. Now I'm concerned about finding plants that are good, from good companies, good seeds. Anyone know where to go? Thanks in advance!!!
#35 of 203 Old 02-14-2008, 12:26 AM

does anyone know anything about http://www.reimerseeds.com

thanks!
#36 of 203 Old 02-18-2008, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

: Anyone?

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

#37 of 203 Old 02-18-2008, 07:48 PM

Just wanted to say thanks for this list!

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
#38 of 203 Old 02-22-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radish View Post
does anyone know anything about http://www.reimerseeds.com

thanks!
I just went to that site. Right on their home page they say they just added some sort of MiracleGrow product so it already looked bad from the start. It looks like they have a mix of everything (b/c they are trying to capitalize on the "new" idea of heirlooms and want a piece of that pie too).

I specifically saught out the white onion "Candy" a known Monsanto linked variety that Fedco seeds dropped years ago despite it's HUGE popularity. Reimers has it...so a big fat NO! for them, from me.

Can you tell I am passionate about my food?
#39 of 203 Old 02-22-2008, 12:55 PM

LOL, great! thanks for pointing that out.

do y'all ever email these companies to ask about ties to monsanto/GM seeds etc??

i wonder if they know people care?!
#40 of 203 Old 02-27-2008, 09:20 PM

Ahhh man.... I love those Candy onions. None of those long day/short day worries, and they taste awesome.
#41 of 203 Old 02-28-2008, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmamma View Post
WOW!!! I had no idea I needed to be so careful with the seeds I buy!!! So, then, is there a thread somewhere about where to buy live plants? I'd love to start everything from seed, but I'm not sure I'll be up for that this year. Now I'm concerned about finding plants that are good, from good companies, good seeds. Anyone know where to go? Thanks in advance!!!
Baker Creek has a link to plants on thier site with a safe grower. http://abundantacres.net/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvia View Post
Just wanted to say thanks for this list!
No problem!

#42 of 203 Old 03-08-2008, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Any info on Heirlooms Evermore (www.heirloomsevermoreseeds.com)?

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#43 of 203 Old 03-09-2008, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter

Looks like a good one.

#44 of 203 Old 03-09-2008, 02:59 PM

Did I miss these companies somewhere? I get the catologs alot....

White Flower Farm
Exciting Gardens - Richard Owen Nursery
Michigan Bulb Co.
Burgess Seed & Plant Co.
High Country Gardens
Honey Creek Nurseries
Gurney's Seed & Nursery Co.
#45 of 203 Old 03-11-2008, 01:42 PM

Does anyone know about this one. They specialize in cold weather varieties and have a few organic selections also.
#46 of 203 Old 03-12-2008, 10:36 PM

subbing to this thread....

me, dd1, dd2, ds, and #4 due March 1. dbf has 2 of his own, so it will be an adventure!

i like making things. 

#47 of 203 Old 03-12-2008, 10:57 PM

What about www.heriloomacresseeds.com? From their website it would seem that they were safe.
#48 of 203 Old 03-31-2008, 04:16 AM

Hey, I have another one! I get most of my seeds from either Fedco or Richter's Herbs http://www.richters.com/

They are not linked with Monsanto from what I could find

http://www.organicconsumers.org/ge/gefreeseed.cfm
#49 of 203 Old 04-15-2008, 07:04 PM

It's not Monsanto, but I recently found out that Seeds of Change is owned by M & M Mars. So I am sure everything is organic, but owned by a huge multinational company as opposed to a nice small seed place.

I was really disappointed as I loved using them last year, but this year I am using seeds from last year and getting everything else from Seed Savers.

Tessa, mama to M (93) B(94) T (05) G (08) and waiting for the arrival of ? on 10/23
#50 of 203 Old 04-16-2008, 08:27 PM

Hi. I'm new to this forum and I was wondering if anyone is familiar with Botanical Interests? I found them today at an independent nursery and it appears from their website that they are on the up-and-up. However, I was hoping to see if anyone else knew anything.

Thanks!
theypswife likes this.
#51 of 203 Old 04-20-2008, 09:17 PM

I bought some Ferry Morse seeds today at Home Depot. A search shows that they are never chemically treated and all the varieties they offer are non-GMO. They had organic and conventional seeds. Conventional were $1.59 per pack and organic were $2.79. It looks like you can buy them at HomeHarvestSeeds.com for 30%-40% off.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#52 of 203 Old 04-20-2008, 11:19 PM

Jessica, here's a quote from FarmerCathy about Ferry Morse:

Quote:
I did some research on ferry-morse. I'm not sure whether they are associated with Monsanto or not, but they are part of the seed monopoly. From articles I looked up they are put on a list high up there with monopolized seed companies. That's all I could find. http://www.non-gm-farmers.com/news_print.asp?ID=2549
I'll see if I can find some more out on them.
I just did some looking and I believe Ferry Morse is owned by a French company called Limagrain. Limagrain sells GM seeds to the US.
#53 of 203 Old 04-21-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manonash View Post
Jessica, here's a quote from FarmerCathy about Ferry Morse:

I just did some looking and I believe Ferry Morse is owned by a French company called Limagrain. Limagrain sells GM seeds to the US.
Oh, crap! Well, I guess next year my seeds will all have to be ordered online.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#54 of 203 Old 04-21-2008, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

If you have an OSH nearby they might sell Renee's Garden Seeds. Also, check your local Co-op or natural food stores for Seeds of Change (which I know is owned by M&M, but I think it is still run by the same people). Your local nursery might sell either of those too. I would call around then you won't have to pay shipping and be able to get your seeds right away.

#55 of 203 Old 04-21-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerCathy View Post
If you have an OSH nearby they might sell Renee's Garden Seeds. Also, check your local Co-op or natural food stores for Seeds of Change (which I know is owned by M&M, but I think it is still run by the same people). Your local nursery might sell either of those too. I would call around then you won't have to pay shipping and be able to get your seeds right away.
I'll make sure to do that next year. I was at three garden centers today (looking for vermiculite) and they all carried the same brands. I meant to buy a pack of seeds from the one brand I didn't know so I could see if they were on the list (I knew I would forget the name, and I have) but I set it down when the boys wanted to look at the ducklings and I forgot it there. I'm way too much like my mother! Our "local" co-op is an hour away, so if it comes to that it would be cheaper to pay shipping! Oh, what is OSH?

#56 of 203 Old 04-22-2008, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Orchard Supply Hardware

#57 of 203 Old 04-29-2008, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
I just wanted to let everyone know that Tom Johns, the pres. of Territorial posted in the comments on my blog about Seminis being owned by Monsanto, and said customer service will provide a list of seeds they buy from Seminis, so you can avoid them. He also said that Seminis is providing less varieties every year (typical of Monsanto) and they are finding suitable replacements. So, don't count the out completely.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#58 of 203 Old 04-29-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdinaL View Post
I just wanted to let everyone know that Tom Johns, the pres. of Territorial posted in the comments on my blog about Seminis being owned by Monsanto, and said customer service will provide a list of seeds they buy from Seminis, so you can avoid them. He also said that Seminis is providing less varieties every year (typical of Monsanto) and they are finding suitable replacements. So, don't count the out completely.
Thank you for posting this, Adina. I still buy nearly all my seeds from Territorial and will continue to do so. They are a great company and sell varieties specific to our climate (I have no interest in buying seeds for veggies meant to be grown in New England!) I think it is unfair to punish seed companies because their supplier was bought out by Monsanto. Territorial didn't have any say in this. They couldn't instantly stop carrying everything supplied by Seminis or they would go out of business.
#59 of 203 Old 04-29-2008, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Exactly, I like that they are local to me, and as this is the first year we are trying to garden (planning seed swaps with friends for next year) it is nice to have things that are geared for the NW.

I was honestly pleased he took the time to comment on a random blog to tell me how to find out which seeds are from Seminis. That tells me a lot about the company.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#60 of 203 Old 04-29-2008, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

That is great! I always loved thier catalog so I'm glad to hear it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page