Seed Companies Safe from Monsanto Ties - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 203 Old 03-10-2009, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Call around to your local nurseries or your local co-op, someone should carry organic or heirloom seeds. Here it is Renee's Garden Seeds, Seeds of Change, plus we have an organic farm supply store up the hill from us. You should be able to find something close. Good luck!

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 203 Old 06-16-2009, 09:04 AM

Does anyone know about Ferry Morse organic seeds? I buy them at Lowe's. I don't see them on either list. Thanks!
#93 of 203 Old 06-16-2009, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by webjefita View Post
Does anyone know about Ferry Morse organic seeds? I buy them at Lowe's. I don't see them on either list. Thanks!
If you do a search of this thread and the other you'll get the info you need. If you have time could you post about whether they should be on one or the other list. That would be awesome. I have to take my dad into surgery in a couple minutes and probably won't have time to post anything for a week or so. Thanks.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

#94 of 203 Old 08-09-2009, 12:03 AM

i really like uprising seeds - i haven't seen a seed promise on their catalog or website, but they say all of their seeds are grown locally in the pnw. i grew a bunch of their seeds this year. anyone know anything more about them?

http://www.uprisingorganics.com/
#95 of 203 Old 08-09-2009, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarybooks View Post
i really like uprising seeds - i haven't seen a seed promise on their catalog or website, but they say all of their seeds are grown locally in the pnw. i grew a bunch of their seeds this year. anyone know anything more about them?

http://www.uprisingorganics.com/
Thanks! Added it.

#96 of 203 Old 09-13-2009, 10:37 PM

Isn't Nichols Nursery a safe seed pledge company? They have featured the pledge with a detailed explanation prominently in their magazine for years. http://www.nicholsgardennursery.com/

Not all who wander are lost.
#97 of 203 Old 09-17-2009, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanorh View Post
Isn't Nichols Nursery a safe seed pledge company? They have featured the pledge with a detailed explanation prominently in their magazine for years. http://www.nicholsgardennursery.com/
Nichol's Nursery still buys seeds to sell to the public from Semininis which is owned by Monsanto. This does not mean they buy GMO's to sell to the public, but they still fund Monsanto by buying from Semininis.

#98 of 203 Old 09-18-2009, 09:51 PM

I just came across this one today as I was searching for local/Tennessee seed sources: New Hope Seeds; they state on the main page that they are a signor of the Safe Seed Pledge.

Also, is there another link to the safe companies listed by state? I tried the link in the original post and it failed.
#99 of 203 Old 09-21-2009, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktarsha View Post
I just came across this one today as I was searching for local/Tennessee seed sources: New Hope Seeds; they state on the main page that they are a signor of the Safe Seed Pledge.

Also, is there another link to the safe companies listed by state? I tried the link in the original post and it failed.
Added New Hope Seeds to the list. Looks like a great seed company.

It looks like they took that page down. When I have time I will try to find something that might be similar to that link.

#100 of 203 Old 11-12-2009, 02:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Subbing.
Thanks for all your hard work FarmerCathy and everyone!!
My housemate and I read the Urban Homestead book and are working on making some self-watering containers and growing veggies in our living room this winter. So I'm looking for seed companies that are good to buy from-and here's this amazing list

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#101 of 203 Old 11-13-2009, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prescottchels View Post
Subbing.
Thanks for all your hard work FarmerCathy and everyone!!
My housemate and I read the Urban Homestead book and are working on making some self-watering containers and growing veggies in our living room this winter. So I'm looking for seed companies that are good to buy from-and here's this amazing list
Not a problem, just trying to do my part in making sure everyone is aware of where our seed money goes. Keep the links to seed companies that aren't attached to Monsanto coming. We need to keep our small business, local, organic, and heirloom seed companies in business. We don't want to lose anymore seed strains. Diversity is so important.

#102 of 203 Old 01-08-2010, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter

Someone mentioned this fairly new seed company on facebook. Thought I'd share it and put it on the list.

http://www.annapolisseeds.com/ Just realized they are in Canada, so anyone in Canada has another great source for seeds.

#103 of 203 Old 01-09-2010, 11:31 PM

what great information! thanks!

Check out my new blog naturalfamilysteading.blogspot.com!
#104 of 203 Old 01-09-2010, 11:41 PM

Great thread! Thanks.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#105 of 203 Old 01-25-2010, 08:23 PM

Just wanted to note...

I ordered some seeds from Diane's Seeds last year and again this year. She has a small selection of veggies compared to larger companies, but they're good seeds! Lots of tomato seeds to choose from. I ordered seeds from her a few days ago and I got them today, already!

I stopped ordering from Seeds of Change because their shipping is outrageous. I put together my order on their site and then realized I was paying $11.70 for shipping. How can it cost that much to ship seed packets? I'm poor, I can't afford that!

I looked at Diane's Seeds for this year, selected the almost same amount of seeds plus some flower seeds too, and she charged me $2.95 for shipping. She also added in some free black Russian tomato seeds with a thank you note.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#106 of 203 Old 01-26-2010, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper44 View Post
Just wanted to note...

I ordered some seeds from Diane's Seeds last year and again this year. She has a small selection of veggies compared to larger companies, but they're good seeds! Lots of tomato seeds to choose from. I ordered seeds from her a few days ago and I got them today, already!

I stopped ordering from Seeds of Change because their shipping is outrageous. I put together my order on their site and then realized I was paying $11.70 for shipping. How can it cost that much to ship seed packets? I'm poor, I can't afford that!

I looked at Diane's Seeds for this year, selected the almost same amount of seeds plus some flower seeds too, and she charged me $2.95 for shipping. She also added in some free black Russian tomato seeds with a thank you note.
That is great about Diane's Seeds. The problem with Seeds of Change is that they are owned by Mars Inc. and can probably charge high fees for shipping.

#107 of 203 Old 01-28-2010, 09:10 PM

What about trees? I've ordered from this company two years & liked the service & trees they sent. I think they sell only fruit/nut trees.

http://www.treesofantiquity.com/

alivia, mama to sunshine dd (2003), snuggly dd (2009), & bonus baby (due 06/2010), homesteader, homeschooler, writer, lifelong learner
#108 of 203 Old 01-30-2010, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alivia View Post
What about trees? I've ordered from this company two years & liked the service & trees they sent. I think they sell only fruit/nut trees.

http://www.treesofantiquity.com/
This is such an awesome site! And they are in CA, where I went to school actually. I will add this one.

#109 of 203 Old 01-30-2010, 07:54 PM

What about http://www.arborday.org/ ?

I ordered four dwarf apple trees from there. I can't wait until they come this spring! They were only $9 each and $5 total for shipping. I read the trees are sad little sticks but that they grow up nicely and bear fruit in 2-3 years.

I've never considered trees being tied to Monsanto...do they have anything to do with trees or is the concern just about companies that sell trees also selling Monsanto linked seeds?

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#110 of 203 Old 01-30-2010, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper44 View Post
What about http://www.arborday.org/ ?

I ordered four dwarf apple trees from there. I can't wait until they come this spring! They were only $9 each and $5 total for shipping. I read the trees are sad little sticks but that they grow up nicely and bear fruit in 2-3 years.

I've never considered trees being tied to Monsanto...do they have anything to do with trees or is the concern just about companies that sell trees also selling Monsanto linked seeds?
Ya know, I don't think they have ventured into much of the world of trees yet. Anyone know? I think its just crops now, but who knows, they might be trying stuff out in the lab.

They don't say where they get their trees, but they are probably fine. If you take care of them naturally I don't see a problem.

#111 of 203 Old 02-06-2010, 10:07 AM

I found this thread yesterday (thanks, Joni!) and it's timely as I just bought a whole bunch of heirloom seed packets at a local nursery (and whew! they're on the list) plus I recently joined Millions Against Monsanto on FB. Anyway, I have skimmed this thread though I may have missed something...can someone point me to another thread or a website where I can read facts about Monsanto and their cohorts. I read about Seminis? Never heard of it.

I'm writing an article for a local paper and this is a topic I'd like to cover. Thank you!!

Krista, crafty blogging mama to four
#112 of 203 Old 02-06-2010, 05:58 PM

The Garden City Seeds link goes to Iris-Eyes. Thanks for the list!
#113 of 203 Old 02-08-2010, 10:38 PM

has there been any update on ge products on the shelves? i Had read somewhere something about upc codes telling you what is what? Does anyone know? I mean, I like to grow as much food as possible, but i still need to buy some things. And as far as i know, certified organic accepts ge foods.
Anyone?
#114 of 203 Old 02-09-2010, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by conniebonnie View Post
has there been any update on ge products on the shelves? i Had read somewhere something about upc codes telling you what is what? Does anyone know? I mean, I like to grow as much food as possible, but i still need to buy some things. And as far as i know, certified organic accepts ge foods.
Anyone?
I read somewhere that produce with the sticker that starts with an "8" and is 5 numbers long is GE. If it has a "9" and five numbers it is organic and if it starts with a "4" and is 4 numbers long it is conventional.

I think Garden City Seeds is Irish Eyes. I was confused when I googled it. Can someone unconfuse me?

#115 of 203 Old 02-13-2010, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbeaufoy View Post
Can anyone tell me which of these companies (if any) are in California? More specifically in Northern California? I'd love to be able to support a local business.

Thanks! - Robyn

www.bountifulgardens.com
#116 of 203 Old 02-13-2010, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletBegonias View Post
How did I miss that question. Peaceful Valley Farm Supply is Northern CA, my favorite place to go. Actually went there today. www.groworganic.com

#117 of 203 Old 02-13-2010, 04:38 PM

hey you're not far from me! i live in foresthill and am up the grass valley way every so often. dh and i used to live in nevada city actually. ahhhh, memories! peaceful valley completely rocks!
#118 of 203 Old 03-08-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerCathy View Post
They (Johnny's) buy seeds to sell from Seminis which is owned by Monsanto.
Johnny's does not sell GMO seeds. From their founder: "The SSI is a joint project of concerned seed growers, farmers, and scientists. As a participant in the SSI, Johnny’s pledges to not knowingly buy or sell genetically modified (GMO) seeds or plants." Here is a statement from Johnny's clarifying any relationship they may have with Monsanto: http://www.johnnyseeds.com/t-ownership.aspx. Also, here is a list of seeds that were originally sourced from Seminis (before it was bought by Monsanto) and that are being phased out: http://eatclosetohome.wordpress.com/...johnnys-seeds/.
#119 of 203 Old 03-08-2010, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoteat View Post
Johnny's does not sell GMO seeds. From their founder: "The SSI is a joint project of concerned seed growers, farmers, and scientists. As a participant in the SSI, Johnny’s pledges to not knowingly buy or sell genetically modified (GMO) seeds or plants." Here is a statement from Johnny's clarifying any relationship they may have with Monsanto: http://www.johnnyseeds.com/t-ownership.aspx. Also, here is a list of seeds that were originally sourced from Seminis (before it was bought by Monsanto) and that are being phased out: http://eatclosetohome.wordpress.com/...johnnys-seeds/.
I know they don't sell GMO's, but they are supporting Monsanto by buying from Semini's which Monsanto now owns. That is why it is a list of linked to Monsanto companies. Hope this helps clarify. So, if you don't want to knowingly buy seeds from a company supporting Monsanto you know where to go. It's all up to you who you want to buy seeds from, but I personally don't want to support Monsanto at all if I can help it.

#120 of 203 Old 03-09-2010, 05:34 PM

To the OP--I received this comment on my blog and wanted to repost here for all reading. Perhaps you could consider removing that comment from the list as well.

Quote:
HI Krista, Please consider changing the comment that you applied to the listing above for TomatoFest-"seed germination from this company is poor." as we feel this is unwarranted and untrue. I started the TomatoFest company 20 years ago expressly for the purpose of saving tomato seeds from all over the world in our seed bank. We are a 2-person business and personally grow, manage, harvest all portions of our seed business just to be assured of the quality handling and maintenance of our certified organic tomato seeds. (regarding our seeds please see (http://site1.tomatofest.com/about-our-tomato-seeds.html)
For many years, Sunset magazine and our many thousands of seed customers have considered TomatoFest the quality standard for heirloom tomato seeds. We are referred to as the preferred source of tomato seeds in the Sunset's Garden Book and a few weeks ago TomatoFest was awarded by the internet's garden watchdog, Dave's garden , the TOP 5 AWARD for quality seeds and customer service by their members.(http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/1173/)

I'm guessing you posted this comment as fact, as a result of something you heard from your reader(s). Please know that over the years whenever we have heard from a customer who has reported a germination problem, that we have found that the cause was probably due to their seed storage conditions. Regardless of reason, we immediately replaced their seeds to receive no added reports of germination problems. Please consider that your report or reports may have had nothing to do with the quality of our seeds but may have had more to do with a perception of a problem.
Our standard of good service has always cleared up any difficulty or misunderstanding as we take this matter very seriously.

Krista, crafty blogging mama to four

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page